Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-08-2012, 04:58 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Help me pick a new edger

I'm in the market for a more powerful edger than my Stihl FC90. The Stihl FC90 is great for weekly maintenance. But from time to time I have to edge along concrete that hasn't been edged in years and the Stihl just doesn't have enough power in these instances. I would like to spend under $400. This new edger would probably only be used a few times a year. In some years it may not be used at all. It depends on the new accounts that I pick up. This new edger would just make things a little easier for me.

I've been looking at the McLane 101 for $299 shipped.

http://www.amazon.com/McLane-9-Inch-...I2JTANVK1VHY37

Old 11-08-2012, 06:05 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'd look around good. I'm sure you can find one cheaper used. Heck, I have two. One I got in a trade with a friend and the other I cut a lawn for the edger. I had to spend $20 on a carb gasket set to redo the carb on the one and it runs perfect now. It's like new.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:12 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangemower View Post
I'd look around good. I'm sure you can find one cheaper used. Heck, I have two. One I got in a trade with a friend and the other I cut a lawn for the edger. I had to spend $20 on a carb gasket set to redo the carb on the one and it runs perfect now. It's like new.
I'm not looking for a used edger. Thank you anyway.

Old 11-08-2012, 07:42 AM
LawnSite Member

Help me pick a new edger

Do you still have the stihl edger. If so buy a stihl solid shaft trimmer with more power and swap heads.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:29 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I know you're not looking for a used edger, but I saw a Tru-cut walk behind edger for sale around here recently that was in excellent condition. Has a honda gc135 engine on it. Only $200.
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/grd/3389561761.html

If you're interested in it, he's right down the road from me. I could pick it up for you and we can arrange to get it to you.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:29 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

if going mclaine-you must have the honda engine. it is much more reliable about going for long periods between uses. its got a fuel shutoff and can be run dry so the carb dosnt gum up. its well worth the extra $. starts one pull everytime.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:39 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Valley Lawn Service View Post
Do you still have the stihl edger. If so buy a stihl solid shaft trimmer with more power and swap heads.
I actually bought a Stihl FC95 which is the straight shaft. I swapped the curved shaft from my old FC75 onto it. So yes, I've already tried that and it still comes up short on power. Thanks for a great idea though.

Old 11-08-2012, 08:40 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Richard,

I have an older 3 HP walk behind, and it doesn't really do anything that I can't do with my FS90R and the edger attachment. The straight shaft version has a lot of torque. That set up may not be quite as good for weekly edging as what you have now, but I've yet to find any edging I can't do with relative ease with it, and that includes a very large job I did last year that required edging back in several places up to 18" x 3.5" deep with it. Power was never an issue, but I did have to make two passes in places to get down all the way through the turf to the hard edge. I had to do the same thing though when using the WB, which is one reason why I quit using it. The other was the stick edger is just lighter and easier/faster to move around. I have several attachments for the 90 which makes it a far more useful tool to have than the WB edger that only sees very light use these days, and they are all almost as fast to change out to as the same attachments on the KM model.

Edited to add:
I see that you posted again while I was typing this that you have the FC90/straight shaft. Still, I have yet to find much advantage in a WB unless you have a LOT of long, straight line edging to do that isn't more than a couple inches deep.

Last edited by Ridin' Green; 11-08-2012 at 08:45 AM.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:41 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyver_GA View Post
I know you're not looking for a used edger, but I saw a Tru-cut walk behind edger for sale around here recently that was in excellent condition. Has a honda gc135 engine on it. Only $200.
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/grd/3389561761.html

If you're interested in it, he's right down the road from me. I could pick it up for you and we can arrange to get it to you.
That sounds like a great idea and I may take advantage of that.

Old 11-08-2012, 08:42 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnboy dan View Post
if going mclaine-you must have the honda engine. it is much more reliable about going for long periods between uses. its got a fuel shutoff and can be run dry so the carb dosnt gum up. its well worth the extra $. starts one pull everytime.
Yeah, those are way out of the budget. In excess of $600.