Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-08-2012, 08:46 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
That sounds like a great idea and I may take advantage of that.
Ok cool, just let me know.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:51 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
Richard,

I have an older 3 HP walk behind, and it doesn't really do anything that I can't do with my FS90R and the edger attachment. The straight shaft version has a lot of torque. That set up may not be quite as good for weekly edging as what you have now, but I've yet to find any edging I can't do with relative ease with it, and that includes a very large job I did last year that required edging back in several places up to 18" x 3.5" deep with it. Power was never an issue, but I did have to make two passes in places to get down all the way through the turf to the hard edge. I had to do the same thing though when using the WB, which is one reason why I quit using it. The other was the stick edger is just lighter and easier/faster to move around. I have several attachments for the 90 which makes it a far more useful tool to have than the WB edger that only sees very light use these days, and they are all almost as fast to change out to as the same attachments on the KM model.
My current edger does fine on weekly stuff too. I just did a large edging job on a home that sat unoccupied for years. It was really, really bad. Also, Centipede makes this rope like runner that can get up to 3/8" thick that must be cut through on some of these jobs. The job was a little over 500 feet and it took 4 hours to complete. Fortunately I was working by the hour and the contractor didn't mind paying. It was part of a larger cleanup at the same property so the excessive time was absorbed into the overall price.

Old 11-08-2012, 09:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Richard, I have that exact McLane edger and use it the same way you propose. it is much more solid than the old Craftsman I had. I only take it out on new accounts to form the edge, then it sits in the shed. I picked mine up at a pawn shop for $60 last year. If Macgyver picks it up for you, let me know, I get up that way every 6-8 weeks and would be happy to drop it off. It might cost you lunch.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:24 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I do the same, I have a mcclain for the tuff and 1st timers. I just would suggest getting the most horspower you can. I change the motor out a few years ago and believe I have a 5hp instead of the 2.5 or 3.5 it had.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:40 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Richard I will say the two options above sound pretty good. When I first got started I bought a Crapsman 3.5 edger and I still have it 17 years later. Now it isn't bulletproof and I had to weld it a few times and I even found a junked one on ebay that I used to cob parts if needed however it has made me lots of money over the 17 years of owning it. Its a cheap Tecumseh motor and it uses the triblades however a straight blade will also work.

I like your two possibilities and whatever you get you should be happy. I do not do weekly maintenance edging for free. It is a service I can and do charge for and people pay so I usually just edge those properties once a month and it is good $$$. There is no comparison to slicing thru 3" of grass with a WB edger as opposed to a stick unit. Good luck on your search.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:43 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sehitchman View Post
Richard, I have that exact McLane edger and use it the same way you propose. it is much more solid than the old Craftsman I had. I only take it out on new accounts to form the edge, then it sits in the shed. I picked mine up at a pawn shop for $60 last year. If Macgyver picks it up for you, let me know, I get up that way every 6-8 weeks and would be happy to drop it off. It might cost you lunch.
That may work out. He's checking to see if it's still available. What would you like? We have some killer Eastern Carolina pork BBQ at this one little place. I'm extremely picky about my BBQ.

Old 11-08-2012, 11:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I had an old push edger like that before the hand helds came out with decent power. It was too time consuming. It was also difficult to get a truly straight line without gouging and leaving rough edges. If you have any brick or rock borders you can just leave it on the trailer. I just use my Stihl and it cuts 3+ inches of Zoysia turf. Sometimes you have to wind it up before you put the blade to the turf in really thick stuff, but it looks so much better with the handheld.
Old 11-08-2012, 03:45 PM
LawnSite Member

When I want a perfect edge on a thick St. Augustine lawn, I leave the Stihl stick edger on the truck and bring out my 40 yr. old McLain walk-behind edger.
Old 11-08-2012, 04:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

McLane sets the standard. I thought about buying one when I started but glad I didnt because I dont need it, stick edger serves me fine.

I had a customer give me a craftsman edger that looks like new, but its missing the air filter Id sell on the cheap for 40$.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:37 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

the powertrim brand was the best. better than mclaine -i had both. my honda 3.5 mclain will cut tru anything with ease. i have never touched the engine in 20 years.