Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-08-2012, 01:52 PM
LawnSite Member

What is going on here?

Hi All,

From Houston Texas, have a lawn with St. Augustine

One morning noticed this patch in the back yard. It's got an irregular shape, not really a central clearing or anything. I was told we might have been watering too often, had a fungal problem.

So stopped watering, applied anti fungal, and it is still there, no better. Now there are other parts of the lawn doing the same.

Up close when I dig through the leaves, there are no bugs, or anything notable. Any ideas and suggestions?? I don't want to lose my beautiful back yard.

Pictures:
http://imgur.com/a/0NU2v
Old 11-08-2012, 08:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

That doesn't look like fungus damage, especially the second picture. I do see a fence and some shade, both of those will pre-dispose the grass to problem's if they restrict air and sun. Can you pull up tuft's of grass easily ? That would indicate insect damage. Do you know what's under the grass in those spot's ? Home builder's will bury anything in a yard. If a bulldozer was used to grade the lot, compaction could be a real problem. What kind of soil is that ? It look's sandy, sand doesn't hold water or nutrient's well. Try to get a close-up of the grass in the first picture, but if you want a definitive answer, take soil sample's and send it to your state's land grant college, it might take a few week's but that's your best bet. Good luck.