Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-29-2014, 01:36 AM
LawnSite Member

commercial account pitch...what do you include?

I have a few meetings with three large apartment complexes in my area set up for next week to try to gain their business. I am pretty confident with what I have set up in terms of a pitch and presentation, however I find I often forget things I should say. I mainly focus on residential but am now moving into commercial accounts. While I do have a degree and experience talking to business people...you can still look stupid if you're not prepared.

My question is...what's your pitch? What information do you make sure you include and what questions do you ask?
Old 02-04-2014, 07:03 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Talk to them as much as you can before the presentation. Find out what they are looking for in a Landscaper. Ask them what they liked the most and the least about previous vendors that serviced them. Make sure to ask about previous vendors and not just the current one. Don't turn it into a bashing session where you abuse the current Landscaper. I try to get as much information as I can before entering the meeting.
1978 F-350 Dump Truck
1988 Z-71 Chevy 4x4 Meyers Plow
2005 Chevy HD 2500 6.0
1989 Toyota One ton Flatbed
2013 61" Bad Boy Outlaw XP 36 Vanguard
2013 54" Bad Boy Outlaw Stander Kawasaki
2014 48" Wright Walk Behind
Old 02-04-2014, 05:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Great post!

I generally ride the job on the way inside. Literally. Make a quick list of things that your crew is going to objectively improve on for the client. It makes for easy conversation and, it's in your wheelhouse 'cause you are a landscaper.

You can also come back to the advantages of working with your company. For instance -

1. Our guys wear uniforms with logo's attached.
2. We run all late model trucks and equipment.
3. We have an awesome training program for our staff.
4. All of our equipment is serviced weekly.
5. This property needs a large staff to make it look fabulous.
6. The customer is going to get to see you on the job as well. (They love that)

On the way out, remind them that you have a lot of clients that you have been with for years. And, you would love to add them to that list of happy customers.

Post back up and let us know how it goes!
Old 02-06-2014, 04:42 PM
LawnSite Member

I met with two complexes, the third canceled saying they'd found someone else already. The first place was very interested and gave me a great figure for what they were willing to spend, unfortunately they wanted weed and fert stuff done. Since I'm not licensed for it I had to tell them I would sub that out, which in turn led to them declining to go with me. I understand, you can't win everything. The second place seemed shady and I asked who used to mow for them so I could investigate. The guy I talked to at their prior LC company told me they didn't pay him sometimes and once had a check bounce. Long story short...I'll stick with residential for now and hope to find some commercial accounts that will work out for me.
Old 02-06-2014, 07:16 PM
LawnSite Member

I don't know how much I would believe the previous landscaper. He might be trying to save his account by bashing the customer. They might be telling the truth but I would put more trust in your gut feeling after meeting the customer over the previous company.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Oh he was telling the truth, he quit on them.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-08-2014, 08:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Talking to much is dangerous, focus your talk time with 3 main points. Once you made your points hand him 3 or 4 photos and or commercially done flyers. A photo is worth over a thousand words. Let your equipment, work examples do your talking for you.

You will not get real far in sales blowing you own horn all the time. Let the byer interject and usually take over the conversation. Good lessening skills and short direct answers is a must. Once this happens you most likely can tell if your in or your out. The key is to get all you can in the first 3 to 7 minutes. One last must do/have before you fell like you have done all you can do is hand the buyer a one sheet listing with short quotes and from your satisfied customs.

Many times the person you first address in not the person doing the final discussion. So all you need to do is get your first impression to be a good one.