Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-04-2013, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Toro ZMaster w/ 30 hp kohler wont start

Trying to fire up my zmaster after the winter and it won't start. I cranks, but won't turn over. I sprayed a bit of starter fluid in the air cleaner and it turned over for a split second, but won't fire up.

Last winter I ran the gas out of it, probably should have just put stabilizer in it instead.

I changed the spark plugs because they were a tad dirty and still nothing. The fuel filter is pretty new.

I'm thinking there isn't gas getting to the carb, but not really sure? I'm quite a way from a dealer so troubleshooting is the best option.

Anything I should be looking for, maybe the solenoid sticking?

Any ideas appreciated.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm mechanic but I would check the kill wire. Ive had problems with them and what your descripring sound like the problems I had.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-04-2013, 10:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I think you are right to suspect a fuel problem. Alcohol in fuel is bad over winter. Drain. Try fresh fuel.
Old 04-05-2013, 02:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by castlerockmo View Post
I'm mechanic but I would check the kill wire. Ive had problems with them and what your descripring sound like the problems I had.
Posted via Mobile Device
So my starter cranks, the engine just doesn't fire up. Was that your problem or would your starter just not crank? I would think the kill switch might disengange the starter?

I filled with fresh premium fuel this spring and changed the spark plugs. Fuel filter was new last year but I may change that again too as it has a small amount of black residue.

My next plan of action is to:
check the fuel pump and lines
try to pull the solenoid in the carb
clean carb

Any other thoughts? I am not very familiar with working on carbs, but I guess I'll learn.
Old 04-05-2013, 03:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The kill wire it started up. No it kills the coil so he wont fire. Mine would turn over all day just wouldn't start. As soon as we umpluged
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-05-2013, 03:17 PM
LawnSite Member

sorry, your message got cut off. So you just unplugged the kill wire then? Where is it located?

I'll check that, but I dont think that is what it is since when I sprayed starter fluid in the air intake it fired up for a second until it burned it off. I think I am dealing with a fuel issue, but I will definately look at the kills switch.
Old 04-05-2013, 04:01 PM
LawnSite Member

i doubt its your kill wire, sounds more like a fuel issue "somewhere".
Old 04-05-2013, 04:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I guess I missed the starter fluid part! Sorry
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-05-2013, 06:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Ok, an update. I don't think it is my fuel/carburetor solendoid because i can hear it click open when i turn the ignition, I can also feel it when i touch the solenoid.

So, I started examining the fuel pump and lines and here is what I found:
intake is clear and runs gas out when removed from fuel pump and held below the gas tanks. There is fuel down stream of the fuel filter (I relplaced the fuel filter last year and only have put 10 hrs on since).

I removed the pulse line from the crank case and the pump and there was no fuel or appearance of fuel in the line at all: dry. In the fuel pump outlet there appeared to be some black residue...I would assume there would be at least some residual fuel in this line?

Next I removed the line that runs from the fuel pump to the carb (I only removed the end that connects to the fuel pump because I would need to remove the entire air intake to get at the carb). NO GAS in the line at all, dry as a bone. I would expect to find fuel in this line I would think since I have been trying to start the engine for the past few days. Correct?

So this tells me that my fuel pump is likely bad, right? I tried to listen for the fuel pump to kick on when i turn the ignition but can't tell, doesn't sound like it makes any noises, but I am not 100% sure what to listen for.

Is there any other diagnostics I should do before replacing the fuel pump?

I would appreciate any advice or ideas as this is not my area of expertise and I don't wan to miss anything.
Old 04-06-2013, 10:59 AM
LawnSite Member

So before I order a fuel pump, I want to confirm that the pump is bad. Here is what I plan to do. Hoping someone can confirm I'm on the right track.

1. Replace the pulse line between fuel pump and crankcase
2. pull the outlet line (pump to carb) at the pump and manually feed fuel to the carb.
3. Start engine and see if fuel pumps out of the outlet at the fuel pump and also see if feeding the carb manually will fire up the engine.

This should allow me to isolate the problem, correct? It should tell me if the carb is functioning and if the fuel pump is functioning, correct?

Before I do this does anyone have any additional guidance?