Register free!

Old 03-24-2008, 03:22 PM
LawnSite Member

How hard is the license test, in your state?

A friend of mine just took both test and failed (Florida). I think because he took both at the same time (too much to learn). I am curious: In Florida there are 200 questions in pest control and the same in Lawn and Ornamental. They take the questions from about two textbooks each. When I took my test there where about 240 questions in each. you have to pass with a 75%.

How many questions in your state? How many books? What is the passing percentage?
Old 03-24-2008, 05:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Spray Man

Florida has the hardest test in the nation followed by NY and Calf. Pass rate for the Florida test is less than 50% and most people testing are sitting for it for at least the second if not 4th or 5th time. I tested when Dr Sung wrote the tests. Most questions had at least 2 if not 4 correct answers, But which Answer was more correct was the trick. Many States sell the license at the local drug store, or so it seem from the question ask on the Internet.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.Ē John Wayne.
Old 03-24-2008, 06:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Kentucky ...... only has 50 questions for an applicator, and 75 questions for an operator. They just eliminated about 75 - 100 questions have no idea why. Just said the ag department found it useless pretty much but very simple test.
Old 03-24-2008, 07:36 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

NY has two tests, 50 questions on the CORE and 50 for Turf and Ornamentals. The pass rate is about 50% state-wide. That includes people taking it for a second and third time. If you fail twice, you have to take another 8 hour course before you can take it again.

Is it hard? Not if you study. I took a 30 hour course, put in about maybe 60 hours of study time and got two 90's. But, I would definitely not say it's easy. FL is supposed to be the toughest. I could have passed with maybe 30 hours of study, but wanted to be certain I would pass it. If I just took the corse, and then the test, I probably would have gotten around 60%, as a guess. 70% is passing. Half the questions aren't difficult.... but the other half of them are.
Old 03-24-2008, 07:48 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Connecticut is pretty tough to. Written and verbal testing. Have not taken it yet but I may have to this winter.
Old 03-24-2008, 08:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf hokie View Post
Connecticut is pretty tough to. Written and verbal testing. Have not taken it yet but I may have to this winter.
slide identification as well.

Last I heard CT was about a 30% pass rate...key to the whole thing is studying, whats the problem?
Old 03-24-2008, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i am sure its pretty tuff.. i would like to take it just so i can buy rup products like atrazine..but you have to have field time also don't you ric? working for some one in the buiness
Old 03-24-2008, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Member

I've had a license since 93, and let it lapse. Like a moron I continued to apply for approx. 35 of my properties. Got pulled over this summer and was read the riot act. Took the test this winter, 150 questions, needed a 87 to pass. I actually used the study material from "93" and scored a 92. I was the first one out, and thought i bombed it. I was talking with kids who work for pest control companies who had taken it twice, and flunked. They were saying, if they flunk one more time, they'd lose their jobs. If you have your license, keep up the hours, I've learned it the hard way.
Old 03-25-2008, 12:54 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

CT is MUCH harder than NY. I just took the CT 3A Supervisory & Arborist again having not kept enought recert credits for either. ($500 down the tubes) I'm embarassed to have passed the Arborist test by only 2 points. That's the same margin as 1988. Yikes!
I did slam the 3A though.

CA is supposed to be worse but never took it so not sure. CO is also rumored to be tough.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:36 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

NC isn't all that tough at all. A lot of common sense questions.