Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-13-2012, 10:52 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Guy wants me to use google maps to give him price

This is out of my area. I'm tightening my circle. This is a first (a request for estimate using google maps). I can't give a price without seeing the edging. That's always the worst part of overgrown lawns. He probably went down the list of craigslist ads and will go with the cheapest. I'm passing on this one. I remember asking for a price for a huge stump from a local company, and the owner used google maps to give me a price. I don't think i'll be so brave.

Anyway, here's what the guy wanting a price sent me > "Address: 9134 Jason Dr, Denham Springs, LA, 70726. For now I just need a quote for it being cut/edged/blown, front, sides, and back. Medium sized yard (google maps should show the size, it's the corner lot). The grass hasn't been cut in about 4 weeks, so it's a few inches, not very dense. If the quote is competitive it would be ready starting tomorrow. "

My google maps search didn't even show a corner lot. I'd have to demand money up front on this. Seems shady. If any of you are around denham springs, go check it out.
Old 10-13-2012, 11:07 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Waste of bandwidth. If I posted a new thread for every call I get that is off the wall. It would blow the possessor on the PC.
Old 10-13-2012, 11:38 AM
LawnSite Member

I use google maps almost daily. Some you can't see beacuase of tree's and you have to go out. If you can clearly see the property on google then you know what you would charge normally, so figure more and give them price it will be around and let them know thats not for sure untill you see it. you should be able to figure within $5-$10. Even if not for this place google maps is a HUGE time and gas saver. Its not 100% but still very helpfull. I use it on my smartphone. It has a "lab" which is like an app in an app, called tape measure, that allows you to measure up sqft for renovations for chemical apps. If google could keep there maps up to date I wouldnt need a garmin. I still love it. It is probably the most used app on my phone.
48" scag wb
36" scag wb
48" kees wb
fs95 stick edger
2x fs80
2x br600
2x caliced hands
Old 10-13-2012, 11:50 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

A lot of people use Google maps to place bids. Saves money on fuel and you can get more done that way. Just compare the yard to an existing customers.
Thats what I'd do.
Toro
STHIL
Shindawia
Western Salt Spreader
Billy Goat
Tomahawk

Minnesota certified pesticide applicator
NOT MY PRESIDENT!

Brotherhood 2000 plus fourteen
"The real lawn care Jesus"
Old 10-13-2012, 11:54 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Didn't know about the "lab" app. I think i'm the only one left without a smartphone. My issue is the distance. I've been cutting that area out of my schedule. Also, the address he gave didn't show a corner lot like he said. Wasn't aware of lawn guys using this for quotes.
Old 10-13-2012, 12:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I use findlotsize.com to find the square footage minus the house/drive/walk ways/buildings etc...But also of course take in affect how much edging and trimming will be needed and all.

I use google's street view to see if at least the front yard has a big slope or something.
Old 10-13-2012, 12:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

$75 should cover it.
Old 10-13-2012, 12:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Sometimes you're the map, and sometimes you're the bozo.

Just my $0.02

Pittsburgh/Western PA Landscapers Networking Thread

For Sale Chevy truck parts
Old 10-13-2012, 12:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I will give people prices on the phone if the insist however I don't land but a few. Kinda like a guy I get a email from asking me about "some dirt" . So I tell dude that I will swing by and see what he needs. No way, he says he doesn't need my advise or for me to look blah blah..

Dirt...?
Yeah 50 /yd

But google maps and earth can get ya in the ballpark then knowingly pad it up. I had one who luckly cancelled mid season. I bid it with no fence involved and then show up and that sucker barely fit a 21" cause the clown put it up himself.... ugh. I really try to make it by a place before throwing a price out.
Old 10-13-2012, 12:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I use Google Earth, tax records and such but they are a tool not a substitute for on-site visits.

Yes, I will ball park mowing cost on the phone but I give conditions too.