Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-09-2012, 03:01 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I might be leaving the business scene slowly need advice

My friend drives a Beer truck and recommended me to a 11PM -7AM night job Monday - Thursday. It pays from $15HR-$19HR and some nights you have to work 15 hrs loading the trucks up with cases of beer&wine. (Talked to the recruiter today)

I love the 90% of my business but not snow plowing anymore. I am afraid if I leave the plowing part I may end up hurting my business future with my customers. I may have a friend that I will transfer my plowing accounts to and not be threaten with him doing the mowing, mulch, cleanups because he owns a transmission shop.

What hurts me is I have a few customers that would be hurt. I have this one old lady about 95 years old that no one can stand because of her way of dealing with people and her pricing is based from the 1960's. I live about 1/4 mile from her and I don't mind and she is getting bad where she can't really walk. idk what I am trying to say but I need some opinions. I do like snow plowing but not when we get more then 5 inches of snow and the crazy cold hours and the money is like beer money compared to the overhead WHICH MY OVERHEAD IS NOT AS HIGH AS MOST GUYS! The lady asked me but you own a business are you looking at seasonal or full time? I told her that I am getting out of the plowing business and if I like this job I will sell my business or give it to another landscaper.

"Money & Power leads to Greed and usually ends with Corruption."

" I don't blame our industry to be looked down at because most of the people either couldn't keep a stable job or were criminals."

" A LEADER will always have more haters than a FOLLOWER."

Last edited by soloscaperman; 11-09-2012 at 03:06 PM.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You and your beer truck are alaways welcome at my home.

Cant you keep a small lawn route part time?
Old 11-09-2012, 03:40 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I will be honest, my business is always for sale for the right price. If the right career and money were to be offered to me I could take it. It hasnt yet but Im always ready. Its part of business ownership.

I have a friend that has a bread route and loves it.

Oh and I also hate snow plowing.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-09-2012, 03:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I never want to go back working for the"MAN".
Old 11-09-2012, 04:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
Amen to that!
2005 Exmark 48" Turf Tracer
2005 John Deere 647 Quik Track 48"
Stihl Handhelds
Old 11-09-2012, 04:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Isnt this the 3rd or 4th thread you have started about giving up the business? Personally it seems ths industry isnt for u. Everybody u talk to seems to have a cool job offer for ya.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-09-2012, 04:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
Ditto.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-09-2012, 04:30 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Dump the snowplowing,your customers will understand that your not plowing anymore,just don't say you got a job.
Old 11-09-2012, 06:40 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandview (2006) View Post
Dump the snowplowing,your customers will understand that your not plowing anymore,just don't say you got a job.
This might be the answer. If I say I got another job they will think I will be leaving the normal landscaping maintenance at some point. I know Krazy cajun I hate working for the man they make you work harder for less and you get the blame from the people higher up. I have already seen 10 more wanna be landscapers after this Hurricane Sandy. I could always date a slam pig and have her help with my business but I am not like most guys. I will make sure that if I get the job I will put 90% of my income into my business. I am going to build a business savings that will last me a year or two if things go wrong. I will then put part of the money also into buying a second mower and truck. I will tell my customers that I will not be snow plowing this season for personal reason's I guess. Hopefully they will realize how much better I am versus the other guy.

"Money & Power leads to Greed and usually ends with Corruption."

" I don't blame our industry to be looked down at because most of the people either couldn't keep a stable job or were criminals."

" A LEADER will always have more haters than a FOLLOWER."

Last edited by soloscaperman; 11-09-2012 at 06:46 PM.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:37 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

By your screen name it appears you are working your route solo. Is that correct?

How many customers, days of the week you work your route, and how many hours a week does it take to do your landscape route?

Are you married? Kids?

As grandview said give up the plowing or a second option is to find someone to sub out your plow route to cover the route for 16 hours a day and you still plow your accounts for the other 8 hours.

You now have your plow route kept in your business name and it will be there as a back up in case your beer case moving job goes south on you.