Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-19-2012, 05:32 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Bid and Destroy

Oh no. Just what we need. National television depicting customers NEGOTIATING with contractors lol. Other than that it was good
Old 10-19-2012, 06:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We recently passed on a 50k job because they "knew a guy that could do it for less." To that my Dad said, "Well then you should definitely have him do it." With a smile no less and we left. This was 2 months ago, the guy still isn't done and it looks like crap, is severely under-equipped to do it. We figured 2 weeks to do the entire project had we done it.

Thanks but no thanks on bartering, this isn't a pawn shop.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

That's why I don't deal with homeowners. Strictly reputable engineers and general contractors or government agencies. Gc we work for hired a new estimator , he decided he would choose a landscaper who thought he could do the jobs we do . 40k less then us on a 75k job , 6 weeks later landscaper was still working , gc called us in to do the other larger phase. 6 days including equipment moves we were done. If someone or something is really cheap there usually is a reason why. Learned that one the hard way!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-19-2012, 08:56 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Thats a nice luxury to have. I would say that it woud be near imposible to do outside of a 2nd or 3rd generation business though.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:18 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Not impossible at all. All it takes is being proffesional, knowledgeable in your area of work , and making your business marketable. I am only 25 and I have done it . Perfect example is Andrew(Arp) started from scratch and has become a very successfull business.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-20-2012, 09:36 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_S_S View Post
Not impossible at all. All it takes is being proffesional, knowledgeable in your area of work , and making your business marketable. I am only 25 and I have done it . Perfect example is Andrew(Arp) started from scratch and has become a very successfull business.
Posted via Mobile Device
Bingo. Sean, you and Andrew are an inspiration to me. Ill catch up to yall one day.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-20-2012, 10:35 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Well if youve been in business, Im guessing, just several years and based off of your picture thread then you must have a hell of a marketing strategy. Did you buy out a large company or sell your soul or what?
Old 10-20-2012, 12:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Very good friend of mine and mentor had a small successfully business, himself one employee and some old machines. He getting to the age where he was looking to get out in a few years and retire. so we joined forces and I worked my arse off getting new more clientele, jobs etc. in the 3 years I have been involved revenue has tripled and most of the equipment fleet now has been purchased brand new. I am very excited for next year as I have some very very good things on the table , that should take Alloa Excavating to the next level. Absolutely nothing has been handed to me . Take for example Thursday I started at 7am and worked on 2 different jobs till 6 am the following morning. Went home slept till 9am, priced 5 jobs then worked till 4 am this morning. If you want something bad enough you will do whatever it takes to get there . Get out there and shake hands with anyone you can think of and don't let the relationship die there, stay in touch with them and remind them that you want to work with them on projects. If you just hand someone a card it usually ends there, if you catch up with them, bring them coffee on there sites or office, invite them to view current jobs you are doing, bottle of wine at Christmas it goes a long long way...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-20-2012, 04:17 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_S_S View Post
Very good friend of mine and mentor had a small successfully business, himself one employee and some old machines. He getting to the age where he was looking to get out in a few years and retire. so we joined forces and I worked my arse off getting new more clientele, jobs etc. in the 3 years I have been involved revenue has tripled and most of the equipment fleet now has been purchased brand new. I am very excited for next year as I have some very very good things on the table , that should take Alloa Excavating to the next level. Absolutely nothing has been handed to me . Take for example Thursday I started at 7am and worked on 2 different jobs till 6 am the following morning. Went home slept till 9am, priced 5 jobs then worked till 4 am this morning. If you want something bad enough you will do whatever it takes to get there . Get out there and shake hands with anyone you can think of and don't let the relationship die there, stay in touch with them and remind them that you want to work with them on projects. If you just hand someone a card it usually ends there, if you catch up with them, bring them coffee on there sites or office, invite them to view current jobs you are doing, bottle of wine at Christmas it goes a long long way...
Posted via Mobile Device
Remember, all work and no play isn't healthy, however, what you have stated is pretty much the keys to success. You can do anything you want in this country and your strategy is how the best of the best get to the top and stay there.

I personally do not have the motivation anymore to run the rat race but again, if I wanted to, your strategy is the way to go. For the younger guys and even old guys like me wondering how to make "it", they need to read your last two posts.

I would only add that one should never stop learning. Whether it is reading, taking classes, or practicing under the tutorship of a master of their field, education is an important part of success.. that and having a good reputation.

Way to go TSS...

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 10-20-2012, 04:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

T S S couldn't agree with you more buddy.

I don't enjoy dealing with homeowners for the most part, every now and again we get a homeowner that is great to deal with.

Build a reputation, we've gotten calls this fall for boulder wall work from large developers saying they have had multiple people recommend you guys to us, we have heard about your guys work and it speaks for itself, we give them our price and that was that.

It's a great feeling to take pride in your work and have others notice it.

Last fall some of the "higher ups" from a nation-wide builder we do work for were visiting a site where I have installed 60,000 square feet and counting of boulder retaining walls and he told the site supervisor that they usually hate retaining walls but they were some of the most beautiful he had seen.

Truly a great feeling.