Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-29-2012, 02:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Large scale roadside leaf clean-up work

I have been looking at investing a lot of money into a high powered leaf loader and an older dump truck. How could I get a large scale client base before I spend all of my money? I plan on doing this next year.

Ive taken advantage of the world market and started a new business. We are building bombs in the shape of prayer blankets for our middle eastern customers. Business couldnt be better. The prophets are going through the roof!!
Old 10-29-2012, 02:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

not sure how large scale you are looking at. But I started out talking to other smaller LCO's that didn't have a loader and I do curbside pick up for them takes some planing but 50-75ish a stop is not bad. plus all my current customers. craigslist and a new paper add just for leaf clear up. UPS EDDM would work good if you could hit the timing right.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:33 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I would be aiming more towards municipal work for large communities (road side pick-up on a select day). I can see myself getting in way over my head trying to deal with all the LCO's

Ive taken advantage of the world market and started a new business. We are building bombs in the shape of prayer blankets for our middle eastern customers. Business couldnt be better. The prophets are going through the roof!!
Old 10-30-2012, 08:44 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a couple good ideas on how to find the jobs, however I am completely lost when it comes to bidding. Should I drive around the area and count ALL the trees to figure out how much I will be picking up? Or maybe bid it on an hourly charge??

Old 11-15-2012, 07:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Contact the landscape managers in towns where the city hires its own crews.

Whenever I bid a leaf job, I quote a time frame (2-3 hrs, etc) and our hourly rate + disposal fee of X amount. We currently do clean ups with ultravac on exmark.

I have talked with a lot of people that would like to save money buy moving the leaves to the curb for us to pick up--demand is there. If you run the whole season advertising curbside leaf pick up I could imagine you could at least cover expenses in the first year.

25 years old 7 years in business ownership
Old 11-15-2012, 07:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Im in cobb county, and I have never seen anyone in my area doing it. That could be good or bad. seems like alot of companies up north do it. Maybe because we have alot of pines here where as up north not so many and more hardwoods(more leaves)
Old 11-15-2012, 09:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Nobody here does it, I service Fayette and Cowetta and sometimes north west when the money is right. It seems that most people just mulch them. I vacuum them, and rely on my fertilizer program for nutrients. I compost on 80% of our contracted properties. Probably 15-20 one time services per year in January/February require removal of the whole season at once.

25 years old 7 years in business ownership
Old 11-15-2012, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm aiming toward Helen and dahlonaga, it turns out they already have services up there though. I thought it was a great idea however the market seems tapped

Old 11-15-2012, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Don't get me wrong, it's a great service. You just have to make sure there is a market and customers that want it
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-16-2012, 04:33 PM
LawnSite Member

I have bid on a couple of smaller municipalities in the Chattanooga area. It turns out that typically if those small towns dont have curb-side collection, they cant afford it. Our normal charge for individual pick up is about $75 if they are reasonably fresh and dry. I quoted a city with 625 homes $25 per stop. They thought that was outrageous!!