Register free!

Old 12-05-2012, 10:21 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

More fun than I should be allowed to have.

When I first got into lighting a year ago, it was suggested by someone on this forum that once I got started, I would choose to forget all about doing general landscaping.

Today, it was only about 35 degrees with a little breeze added for nip, (although sunny), while I was working on redoing the lighting on a beautiful estate.

I ripped out old, wet Hxxxo in-ground lights, old wiring with pierce point connectors, an old XXX transformer that was putting out more than 13.5 volts from a 124-volt primary. I had to maneuver under a weeping Japanese Maple which draped to the ground and try to dig an 18"-deep hole with my soil knife in a corner behind the tree to place a new transformer mount.

There's still lots more to be done, but after dark with a few lights complete, I was able to see what I had achieved. Work? This is way too much fun!

"This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine."
Old 12-06-2012, 03:45 AM
LawnSite Member

I have been slowly rewiring my old house from knob and tube to romex. It's been a little frustrating at times, but overall I love playing with electrical. Good to hear you're shedding a light on your passions.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:54 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by starry night View Post
When I first got into lighting a year ago, it was suggested by someone on this forum that once I got started, I would choose to forget all about doing general landscaping.

Today, it was only about 35 degrees with a little breeze added for nip, (although sunny), while I was working on redoing the lighting on a beautiful estate.

I ripped out old, wet Hxxxo in-ground lights, old wiring with pierce point connectors, an old XXX transformer that was putting out more than 13.5 volts from a 124-volt primary. I had to maneuver under a weeping Japanese Maple which draped to the ground and try to dig an 18"-deep hole with my soil knife in a corner behind the tree to place a new transformer mount.

There's still lots more to be done, but after dark with a few lights complete, I was able to see what I had achieved. Work? This is way too much fun!

Yep, it's not a bad way to make a living :-)

Tim Ryan
Lite4 Outdoor Lighting
www.lite-4.com
Old 12-06-2012, 03:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Tim,

You asked about where to buy Simply Automated.

ADI on Wales Ave in Indianapolis sells! Electronics/datacom-type store, should have some stock and can order for you as well.

Let me know if you want to talk about how to setup and use. Very easy.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:19 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Thanks for tracking that down Steve, I will go by and see what they stock.

Tim Ryan
Lite4 Outdoor Lighting
www.lite-4.com