Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center



Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #11  
Old 11-11-2012, 09:18 PM
puppypaws's Avatar
puppypaws puppypaws is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Marshville,NC 28103
Posts: 7,808
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickhippy View Post
I feel the XR7 deck is superior to the VX4 on nicer lawns in my situation. I had far few issues with it in regards to clumping.
Im hoping to hear from Hustler engineer regarding this problem.

The older SZ is lighter and smaller making it much more nimble making it a great size for smaller lawns.
The new SZ is better on bigger rougher lawns.

No comparison with the fuel tanks. Old are much much better. I can believe how much fuel I waste every time I fill up. Thanks EPA!

New hydro system is great. If it were on the old SZ, that would of been perfect!

EFI/DFI is a no brainer. Weve been talking about this for years so no need to say any more about it.

At the end of the day, my wish list is put the new hydro system and other upgraded components on the older frame with the XR7 deck. Oh, and add the 37DFI

Only reason I bought the new SZ is because the old 08 one has 900hrs and I dont trust the hydros. Been down that road before with my first 04/05 SZ and lost thousand of dollars due to down time, repair and having to buy a new machine in the end.
The hydraulics on my old mower operates just as smoothly as my new system, the only difference will be the industrial HyperDrive will hold up much longer than the old system.

I have been on a couple of friends Super Z mowers that are the same as mine (2006 yr. model), and they operate no where close in smoothness compared to mine. One was so different I believe the hydraulics were in the process of failing, but I was not about to tell him what the repair would cost. When I felt my hydraulics changing; the pumps and wheel motors were replaced, I did not run the mower once I knew the failure was imminent.

If you operated my mower, it would feel like the mower you owned with the XR-7 deck when you bought it new and ran it the first day. What year model was that mower, and which engine did it have, I think it was two mowers back from the one you now own?
__________________
Farm Mower
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-11-2012, 09:43 PM
Mickhippy's Avatar
Mickhippy Mickhippy is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Queensland, Australia.
Posts: 3,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
The hydraulics on my old mower operates just as smoothly as my new system, the only difference will be the industrial HyperDrive will hold up much longer than the old system.

I have been on a couple of friends Super Z mowers that are the same as mine (2006 yr. model), and they operate no where close in smoothness compared to mine. One was so different I believe the hydraulics were in the process of failing, but I was not about to tell him what the repair would cost. When I felt my hydraulics changing; the pumps and wheel motors were replaced, I did not run the mower once I knew the failure was imminent.

If you operated my mower, it would feel like the mower you owned with the XR-7 deck when you bought it new and ran it the first day. What year model was that mower, and which engine did it have, I think it was two mowers back from the one you now own?
My old SZ is an 08/09 model. (built in 08, purchased in 09) It has the 31 kawi on it.

After using the new one for a while then jumping on the old, I noticed its a lot more responsive/jerky when doing turns. Maybe the dampeners are on there way out or getting worn. maybe Im just not used to it. Its not a big deal, just something I noticed.
The hydros themselves are still good which is why Im selling it. Cost a lot to replace them over here and want to off load before anything happens.

The hydro system is the reason I bought the new machine, not to mention tax reasons. I need/want something I can depend on. Unfortunately, the machine has let me down with the cut and that park break linkage failure. Time will tell how it holds up longer term.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-11-2012, 10:09 PM
puppypaws's Avatar
puppypaws puppypaws is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Marshville,NC 28103
Posts: 7,808
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickhippy View Post
My old SZ is an 08/09 model. (built in 08, purchased in 09) It has the 31 kawi on it.

After using the new one for a while then jumping on the old, I noticed its a lot more responsive/jerky when doing turns. Maybe the dampeners are on there way out or getting worn. maybe Im just not used to it. Its not a big deal, just something I noticed.
The hydros themselves are still good which is why Im selling it. Cost a lot to replace them over here and want to off load before anything happens.

The hydro system is the reason I bought the new machine, not to mention tax reasons. I need/want something I can depend on. Unfortunately, the machine has let me down with the cut and that park break linkage failure. Time will tell how it holds up longer term.
You had a Super Z before the one with the 31 Kawi, I was thinking it had the 28 efi, or am I thinking about someone else? The big 72" I bought has no jerk at all, it is very smooth, wonder if this is due to it being heavier?
__________________
Farm Mower
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-11-2012, 10:17 PM
Ridin' Green Ridin' Green is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 8,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
You had a Super Z before the one with the 31 Kawi, I was thinking it had the 28 efi, or am I thinking about someone else? The big 72" I bought has no jerk at all, it is very smooth, wonder if this is due to it being heavier?
puppy-

I think you are thinking of TLS. He has (or at least had) a 28 efi SZ.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl G
I can also tell by looking back to see how they're hanging and often reach back and feel them to see how firm they are.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-11-2012, 10:28 PM
puppypaws's Avatar
puppypaws puppypaws is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Marshville,NC 28103
Posts: 7,808
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
puppy-

I think you are thinking of TLS. He has (or at least had) a 28 efi SZ.
I remember TLS, and he still has his Super Z with a 28 efi, but I was thinking Mickhippy had a Super Z before the one he bought 2 or 3 years back with the 31 Kawi, maybe he can fill me in.
__________________
Farm Mower
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 11-11-2012, 10:28 PM
Mickhippy's Avatar
Mickhippy Mickhippy is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Queensland, Australia.
Posts: 3,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
You had a Super Z before the one with the 31 Kawi, I was thinking it had the 28 efi, or am I thinking about someone else? The big 72" I bought has no jerk at all, it is very smooth, wonder if this is due to it being heavier?
Your correct, I had the 28efi on a 04/05 SZ. Thats the one that had the total hydro failure at 1300hrs.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11-11-2012, 10:33 PM
puppypaws's Avatar
puppypaws puppypaws is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Marshville,NC 28103
Posts: 7,808
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickhippy View Post
Your correct, I had the 28efi on a 04/05 SZ. Thats the one that had the total hydro failure at 1300hrs.
You made it to 1300, mine went down at 1200, and my dealer said from all he replaced 1200 hrs. was about average, some a little longer, and some less. If your 28 efi ran as good as mine has, it was the best engine you've had on a Super Z, but needing more power in your cutting.
__________________
Farm Mower
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 11-11-2012, 10:45 PM
Mickhippy's Avatar
Mickhippy Mickhippy is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Queensland, Australia.
Posts: 3,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
You made it to 1300, mine went down at 1200, and my dealer said from all he replaced 1200 hrs. was about average, some a little longer, and some less. If your 28 efi ran as good as mine has, it was the best engine you've had on a Super Z, but needing more power in your cutting.
Had a slight oil leak early on repaired under warranty but other than that yep, great engine. It was under powered on the big sloping properties and in thick grass but I loved that engine. I liked how the machine itself was so small.
I actually saw an 04 a few weeks ago that was getting serviced. It looked like a toy compared to the latest SZ.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 11-11-2012, 11:04 PM
puppypaws's Avatar
puppypaws puppypaws is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Marshville,NC 28103
Posts: 7,808
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickhippy View Post
Had a slight oil leak early on repaired under warranty but other than that yep, great engine. It was under powered on the big sloping properties and in thick grass but I loved that engine. I liked how the machine itself was so small.
I actually saw an 04 a few weeks ago that was getting serviced. It looked like a toy compared to the latest SZ.
My 06 model with the 66" deck looks small beside the big 72, but it want be far behind in a days mowing on dry grass cut on a regular schedule.
__________________
Farm Mower
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 11-11-2012, 11:22 PM
Mickhippy's Avatar
Mickhippy Mickhippy is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Queensland, Australia.
Posts: 3,969
Didnt Hustler use the 04 ish hydros on the early XR7 deck machine like yours. Then change something in the system for 08 onwards. I cant remember exactly but I remember reading something about it.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:46 AM.

Page generated in 0.06886 seconds with 8 queries