Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-25-2012, 02:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Season is close to winding down

Hi everyone,

It's been awhile since I've had time to review everyone's post...I am glad to see there are alot of individuals making progress in their holdiay lighting business.

As a former decorator, now supplier...I would like to see everyone's home decorated and every street corner decorated. But as we know this isn't possible without individuals that have passion and pride to push this industry in the right direction. It's not a one month business model anymore.

Everyone keep up the great work and I am thankful to say we are doing our part for the eco system with our new boxes this year...ha ha Mr. Prew.

Two weeks left of decorating..then you can charge double for those stragglers who are behind the eight ball and call you late.

Every year the same thoughts come across my mind, what can we do as a collective to improve the standards of installation and product to make our industry thrive more in the future. I'm not thinking of selling more product when I make that statement, but haven't you wondered why there isn't a holiday decorators association which goes by a standard principles like other associations. Any thoughts on this would be helpful...future project for everyone to be part of.

Be safe out there.

Happy Holidays,

Mike Marlow
Holidynamics.com
Old 11-25-2012, 07:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

That would be one hell of a good idea Mike. It would be nice to see a distinguished between the professionals and those fly by nighters. It would also define who was able to work where, if not immediately, definitely eventually. We are working some of us, severe heights, all of us dealing with electricity and wattage and amp calculations just in our head numerous times per day, design, layout. there is always the quantity vs. quality issue.
2000 Cat 312B
2000 Cat 304 CCR
2000 Hyundai H70
2012 Scag V Ride
2009 Ferris IS3100 z
Brown Bed Edger
Multiple trailers, hand tools and smaller stuff
A son to teach the value of life, business and honor
Old 11-25-2012, 08:05 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Sounds like a summer project to me Mike!!

BTW, I like your idea of charging double for the procrastinators but they think we should charge 1/2 because its only up for 1/2 the season....
Old 11-25-2012, 10:54 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I think there absolutely should be a certification process for Christmas Decorators. instead of interior decorator, perhaps an "exterior decorator" . There should be liability and workmans comp insurance, specific for electric and roof REQUIRED. You should have tiers, such as apprentice, journeyman, master, etc, based on years of experience that is checked by references. If your state requires mechanical contractor liscense for jobs over a certain size, then you must hold that BEFORE you can get your certification.

This certification should mean something, not just for folks who want to pay 35 bucks to sign up.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:25 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMarlow View Post
Hi everyone,

It's been awhile since I've had time to review everyone's post...I am glad to see there are alot of individuals making progress in their holdiay lighting business.

As a former decorator, now supplier...I would like to see everyone's home decorated and every street corner decorated. But as we know this isn't possible without individuals that have passion and pride to push this industry in the right direction. It's not a one month business model anymore.

Everyone keep up the great work and I am thankful to say we are doing our part for the eco system with our new boxes this year...ha ha Mr. Prew.

Two weeks left of decorating..then you can charge double for those stragglers who are behind the eight ball and call you late.

Every year the same thoughts come across my mind, what can we do as a collective to improve the standards of installation and product to make our industry thrive more in the future. I'm not thinking of selling more product when I make that statement, but haven't you wondered why there isn't a holiday decorators association which goes by a standard principles like other associations. Any thoughts on this would be helpful...future project for everyone to be part of.

Be safe out there.
I think it would be cool if the trio of buy in places and all the suppliers had an annual expo. This past year at the TNLA Expo in Houston we had Christmas Decor, Christmas Designers, Novelty, and a few others there. Since Brite Ideas is in your hood maybe you could car pool to the event with them!

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Accreditations & Memberships- BBB, TNLA, TPCL 611373, & Class 1 Nurserymen.

Market Niche- High end residential.

-http://plantscapesolutions.net/