Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-28-2012, 08:25 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

33 and 34 yesterday. worked until 11 doing fixes. physically and emotionally exhausted. starting to get snappy with employees and family. throat feels dry and feel sickness coming in a few days. booked until next monday. working until 10pm plus for many days is really starting to take its toll. trying to push through, eating all kinds of healthy foods as snacks, but you just can't treat your body this way. I think after today I am going to no longer do sales appointments after 6:30. I need the time to buy supplies and do a few simple fixes, and eat and rest my brain and body. that really sucks, because the 5:30-9 appointments usually have both spouses there and they usually buy.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:32 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Another long day and night. 10:30 doing fixes. sold 4 today. at 38. really tired and having trouble keeping up. booked thru tuesday

Last edited by David Gretzmier; 11-29-2012 at 01:37 AM.
Old 12-01-2012, 02:24 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

another lost post. hmm. sold 3, 39-41 on thursday, and 42, friday. got home 10:30 last night and 8:30 tonight. sick. can't talk. laryngitis or flu or something. find that I should have not done so many fixes and might not have scared folks with this raspy frog voice thing today.

I am ahead of all years, but I really really need some time off. I think my body is gonna do that for me. I have 3 or 4 appointments saturday and one sunday, and sarah and megan had to start returning calls today. I literally could not speak or keep up. going to give everyone off sunday except me. booked thru wednesday.

looking at inventory, shocked at how many wreaths, garland we have went through. still have quite a few sold jobs to put up. we will have to get another shipment of 3', 4', and garland, maybe buy this season for next. we will see. If you told me we would run out of garland and 4 foot wreaths at the beginning of the season I would have laughed at you.

In the past 2 years it looks like I have around 10 new customers after Nov 30. Don't know if we will continue that trend, but we will see. I can only hope. It has ben a great run so far.

Last edited by David Gretzmier; 12-01-2012 at 02:32 AM.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:14 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Dave who do you favor for wreaths and Garland? I've been using Christmas Designers since they are close by in Sherman, TX and shipping is cheap. LiteSource is here as well but I'm not sure I trust their quality as much.

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Accreditations & Memberships- BBB, TNLA, TPCL 611373, & Class 1 Nurserymen.

Market Niche- High end residential.

-http://plantscapesolutions.net/
Old 12-01-2012, 11:30 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I use hydy for wreaths and garland. customers love it. no closes today. note to self, when voice sounds like frog, very hard to get customers to trust you.
Old 12-02-2012, 01:44 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Is that your abbreviation for Holidynamics? I use just HD as the replacement for HBL. The HD garland is definitely better then the others pipe cleaner looking garland. I think next year I need to just order a bunch of the LED Mixed Noble Garland and Wreaths and stick with it. I'm not 100% confident in their LED durability compared to Christmas Designers but I guess I'll take a chance.

I have been happy with all the material I have gotten from Christmas Designers but HD definitely has a nicer premium grade greenery. I had a little custom made pure white greenery made by CDI that was a little better mixed noble grade but it seems HD still has better stuff.

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Old 12-02-2012, 05:24 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

We use the incan version of he mixed noble. I have been using it for 7 seasons now, Really since HD opened, and I only have maybe 6 strands out of probably 1000 that were not able to be repaired by magic box, and those are used, not new. I am going to keep those on the shelf and use them restrung on occaision when folks want multi, blue or red minis in their garland. Given the nightmare I have heard about HD LED's but truly myself have not experienced, and how little amps garland pulls, along with the color, I will continue to go with the incan.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

43 today.voice starting to coming back. sales coming back. nice small mediumish job across the street from another mediumish job we do. love putting up and taking down 2 jobs with one stop.

only 2 appointments scheduled for tomorrow. think the crazy rush is finally over. have been booked solid with appointments from 9:30am til 7-8pm every night since last monday. finally got some recuperative sleep and finally at home at 8pm instead of 11. have 3 crews installing and 1 crew doing nothing but fixes tomorrow. have 3 crews booked installing wednesday as well. but we have started scheduling the donation jobs in that, my house and our training house, we are nearing the end.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:16 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

David what do you think your total house count will be for new and existing.

Old 12-03-2012, 05:11 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Not sure. I try to keep that number vague these days. I am also not sure, but I am guessing some of my competitors ( you out there amanda? ) read these posts to gain a competitive advantage. Not sure what advantage they could gain by knowing how big we are, and I have said in the local papers for the past few years we have around 250 properties. I will leave it at that.

I have always said that my math tells me the maximum number of customers we can achieve is somewhere around 400 given our retention ratio and current ability to close 40-50 new customers per year. If you can figure you lose 5-15% per year, once you hit 400, all you are doing is replacing the folks you lost. even if we achieve a new threshold of larger number new clients per year, like we seem to have in the last 3 years, the larger size thing seems to come with a corresponding rise in % of customers you lose.

I have heard of a few rare new york, Dallas and Houston lawn care firms that have 1000 plus customers, but they also seem to have a sales staff of 4 or more, and while the rumor is they close 200 new clients per year, they seem to lose 200 as well.

I have always heard that Travis at Brite Ideas and Scott at HD each has around 400 installed in their local market.