Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-10-2012, 09:08 AM
LawnSite Member

Knee Surgery

I had knee replacement surgery this past Monday. My helper is going to do my leaves over the winter. Which would be the best way to pay him? Let him make the money and pay the truck or just pay him fifteen dollars instead of ten per hour?
Old 11-10-2012, 09:13 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy Buds View Post
I had knee replacement surgery this past Monday. My helper is going to do my leaves over the winter. Which would be the best way to pay him? Let him make the money and pay the truck or just pay him fifteen dollars instead of ten per hour?

He's your helper/employee not you business partner. Enough said.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-10-2012, 10:37 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would just pay him his regular wage, then at the end of the season if he did a good job for you give him a bonus. If you pay him more per hour now you are screwed if he comes back next year, he will expect the pay or more.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:25 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Good luck with that knee Buds.
Old 11-10-2012, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

be careful when temporarily paying an employee extra for specific jobs, you need to clearly document that it is temporary and not a raise. A buddy of mine was temporarily doing extra work at night for his boss and was paid a different amount than his usual day hourly wage. After a few weeks when the extra work was done, he retuned to working days and the pay rate returned to the previous amount. My buddy thought the amount was his new pay and didnt know it was just temporary. He fought with his boss about it and called the dept of labor. DOL found that he wasn't properly informed that the pay was a differential for working nights. It was cheaper for the company to just pay him the difference of the back pay and to make that his new pay going forward than it would be to fight it or pay fines to the state. The company then began documenting everything he did wrong with the intent to fire him, he turned around and sued them for a hostile work environment. Long story short, he was awarded a pretty good amount of money. This wasn't in the landscape industry
Old 11-11-2012, 07:38 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimslawncareservice View Post
He's your helper/employee not you business partner. Enough said.
Posted via Mobile Device
Quote:
Originally Posted by chesterlawn View Post
I would just pay him his regular wage, then at the end of the season if he did a good job for you give him a bonus. If you pay him more per hour now you are screwed if he comes back next year, he will expect the pay or more.
Yes he is an employee, all he is going to remember you paid him $15 more this fall and will get spoiled and want that extra $5 come spring, even if you have him sign an agreement stating that the raise was only temporary.

Keep in mind that if it took the both of you 100 man hrs to do all the clean ups in past seasons that means that him working solo he will put in 200 man hrs all by himself. So at $10 hr last year he made $1,000. Then this year he will make $2,000 working solo. These are not your actual numbers but used to make a point.