Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-12-2012, 08:12 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I keep hearing guys say that they print out schedules for the week, what happens when weather makes it so your schedule for that week is no longer possible. Example: I had a schedule made out for today, but at 3 pm it started pouring rain and I had to come in, so now I have to finish todays schedule plus tomorows schedule thus the snowball effect takes over.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Work in the rain.
Old 11-13-2012, 01:58 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Kinda hard to blow leaves in the rain! in addition I've gotten several customers because the last guy was putting his zero turn in the yard after it rained and rutted up the yard, thus the customer is saying I don't want ruts in my yard!
Old 11-13-2012, 05:43 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

we don't work in the rain either. Not only is it bad for the property, it's also dangerous.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-15-2012, 08:12 PM
LawnSite Member

If you have some down time this winter Read/Study/Live the book E-Myth Revisited by Michael E. Gerber - it has fundamental business strategies that are proven to be successful to help you establish a foundation and grow your company. It's not industry specific; and it doesn't have to be. Everyone in business for themselves cannot just be the technician doing all of the work. We all where many hats, sometimes too many at once, but if you have a strategy, plan, goals, (dreams) and revisit them on a regular basis. You will develop a plan to grow and start delegating those duties to others with in time. As a business owner you're also the leader - establish your vision - always be aware and look ahead to ensure you're headed in the right direction.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpllawncare View Post
Kinda hard to blow leaves in the rain! in addition I've gotten several customers because the last guy was putting his zero turn in the yard after it rained and rutted up the yard, thus the customer is saying I don't want ruts in my yard!
I use outlook calendar to schedule my 4 crews. Each crew has a printed schedule each morning on a clipboard. If it rains some or all items will be moved to tomorrow. Beside each item the crew puts their start/stop time and at the top their start/stop odometer, plus any notes needed. Each crew maintains about 50 - 60 and some are full service and some are mowing only, lawn care or other.

The calendars come back and are entered into QB timesheets, which updates their hours for payrol and assists with the invoicing which is done at the end of the month.

We are about maxed outed with the number of customers we can put on the calendars now, so I will be looking for a scheduling program that will auto enter into QB.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:15 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Greenscaper View Post
I use outlook calendar to schedule my 4 crews. Each crew has a printed schedule each morning on a clipboard. If it rains some or all items will be moved to tomorrow. Beside each item the crew puts their start/stop time and at the top their start/stop odometer, plus any notes needed. Each crew maintains about 50 - 60 and some are full service and some are mowing only, lawn care or other.

The calendars come back and are entered into QB timesheets, which updates their hours for payrol and assists with the invoicing which is done at the end of the month.

We are about maxed outed with the number of customers we can put on the calendars now, so I will be looking for a scheduling program that will auto enter into QB.
What happens to the day after it rains schedule, is the work just compounded? do ALL the customers get serviced? do some get skipped? I pretty much have a full four days schedule, with one day for rain or makeup, but if it rains two days I'm screwed, that's what I'm concerned about next season.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We work 4 10 hour days so that fri and sat become makeup days.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-15-2012, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpllawncare View Post
What happens to the day after it rains schedule, is the work just compounded? do ALL the customers get serviced? do some get skipped? I pretty much have a full four days schedule, with one day for rain or makeup, but if it rains two days I'm screwed, that's what I'm concerned about next season.
That doesn't happen much. But it happen at least twice this summer. Each crew has four full days and Fridays are half full. So if the day is a full wash out, we expand the work day (crews have both days on the schedule). They do as many as the can and we will usually catch up in about 3 days. Same thing if it rains two days.
We do get calls from the customers, so in the future I'm going to work out a way to contact them. Some of the customers just don't understand. "It rained Monday and Tuesday, but I'm on your Wednesday schedule so why aren't you here"
Old 11-15-2012, 09:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I get that all the time
Posted via Mobile Device