Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-16-2012, 10:18 AM
LawnSite Member

School bid. What do you think?

I'm getting ready to place a bid on an upcoming mowing contract for the local school system, which has 3 schools and its central office. It's my first commercial bid to make so any thoughts would be nice. If I get this deal, I'll jump in and start getting my equipment for the job creep my way into the business.

Calculated mowing area of the school schools is approximately 46 acres. The high school campus is approximately 30 mowing acres, while the the middle school, elementary school, and board office is 16 acres.

I think they prefer bi-weekly mowings so I'm going with that. The contract would run from March 1 to November 30, so what...9 months?

I've calculated approximately 20 mowings for each school, give or take a little on weather. There will also be 3 bush trimmings conducted, one in the beginning, middle, one to close out the season, and also 2 mulchings.

This is reasonably close to some of the other contracts they awarded in the past, so my bid for the job is $13,000.

$9200 for mowing, and the trimming and mulching at $3800.

Reasonable?

Last edited by yazzy; 11-16-2012 at 10:23 AM.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:26 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I must be missing something. Are you saying your price for the year is 13,000? Total
Old 11-16-2012, 10:32 AM
LawnSite Member

Yes, $13000. That's correct. 46 acres also.

It has been a while since I've seen the public notices on it, but I do believe that that price is fairly close to what they've been paying previous lawn care companies.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:38 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

That seems like a very low bid. You might wanna rethink your bid
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-16-2012, 10:41 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

WOW! I really think you are missing something. You are essentially going to mow 920 (46*20) acres for 9600?!? I am going to go out on a limb here and say without a doubt you have no idea what your costs are. If that price is really what it has been going for in the past, then that is why it is up for bid again. I looked at your last few posts and I can see you are new the business ownership side of the industry.

You need to start small and work your way up. There is no way you can do that by yourself. You WILL loose money at 9,600. Let me put in perspective for you. About the cheapest you will find rough cut brush hogging is 40/acre. If that property was to be brush hogged it would go for 36,800 for the year. You are going to finish mow, go between properties (fuel and time) trim, blow off and edge every other week for less than a quarter of that. How did you come up with your number? Seriously. I dont want to just bash you completely (only a little). I would like to help you but i need to know what you have done so far to calculate that price. If you just saw it was done for a little more than that, and you think you can do better so you go cheaper, then you will be screwed very soon. I bet if you get to looking they are paying around 10K/ month
Old 11-16-2012, 10:42 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You will also spend way more than 13k on equipment to do that job even the least bit efficient. I saw from the other post you dont have any yet
Old 11-16-2012, 10:52 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddensLawnCare View Post
You will also spend way more than 13k on equipment to do that job even the least bit efficient. I saw from the other post you dont have any yet
No, no equipment yet, but as I'm sure you read from my posts I worked as a university groundskeeper for nearly 6 years so I've kinda been able see what is durable equipment and what's not so I think that will help me purchase some reasonably good equipment for a new business.

I've got several pieces of equipment I can sell trade and help offset the initial costs, but I'm obviously not paying for this all in one swipe. A loan on the Helox is unavoidable.

I'll post a list of my equipment purchase plans soon anyway for tips.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:59 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Please take my advice and dont bid on that. I havent even seen it but I can tell you that you will screw yourself if you get it. The worst part about being the lowest bidder is getting the job
Old 11-16-2012, 11:01 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddensLawnCare View Post
Please take my advice and dont bid on that. I havent even seen it but I can tell you that you will screw yourself if you get it. The worst part about being the lowest bidder is getting the job
Thanks for the advice! In all seriousness, what's your reasonable bid for this job; mowing, mulch, and bush trim? It can go a long way in helping me determine reasonable bidding prices in the future.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Reddens you tried but he obviously is not going to listen to your advice.
Posted via Mobile Device