Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-12-2012, 08:01 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Tiger Cat or Turf Tiger?

I'll be in the market early next year for a new Scag. I'm currently running an 05 Wildcat 52". There's nothing really wrong with it, I got it used when I started up. It gives me a few fits here and there, but it runs fairly well and cuts great. My biggest gripe is that I bought a 52" and not a 61" So whatever I get next will be a 61". Most of my accounts will benefit from a larger deck. I have a 36"WB I use for my smaller lots, but most accounts are 1.5 acres or larger.

I was toying with buying another used mower, but I'm currently leaning towards a new one. But whether new or use, would you guys go with a Tiger Cat or a Turf Tiger?

The Turf Tiger is certainly mow mower, but it's also more $. The TigerCat and the Wildcat seem to be almost the exact same machine. The TigerCat will fit on my trailer better and it weighs less. It also seems to be a simpler design, which to me, makes it better. "Keep it simple stupid" But the Turf Tiger has larger hyrdo pumps, an aux cooler, shaft driven deck...etc etc. I honestly think the Tiger Cat would suit me very well, but I wanted opinions from you guys, especially if you've used both machines.
Thanks
Old 11-12-2012, 08:17 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

If you're doing mostly residential then stick with the lighter mower.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:30 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have had 3 tiger cubs and now have 3 Turf tigers. The turf tigers hold hills much better and have more engine options. We don't break as many belts on our turf tigers as we did on the cubs. We have a 61" turf tiger 29dfi and it has more power and uses less fuel than our 27 kohlers.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Go with Turf Tiger if it will be your primary use machine. If you just want a second machine go with the Tiger Cub
Old 11-14-2012, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I was in your exact situation except I bought a 2005 tiger cub with a 48" deck new in 05, and man was that a 7 year mistake. I could have upgraded sooner, but I really wanted to wait until i had more accounts and I did. I chose the 61" cheetah with a 34hp carb'd air cooled kohler motor, might not be the best of fuel, but i'll probably never have an issue with the whole mower. I demoed the mower when it first came out 3 years ago and fell in love with it. I really can't see how i went so long without it, I let my buddy use who works with me in the summer, and he's got an exmark and even he admits, he my scag is a beast and he really loves it. he like you and me went with a deck size smaller then 61" for his first machine. its a common mistake a good amount of people do. but it happens atleast you went with a used machine.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

ok, well I'd like to revive this thread. Its now 2013 and I'm ready to buy as of tomorrow or whenever I find a deal that I feel is good. I'm not in hurry, I have until April untill I'll need it.

So again, I'd like to hear from the guys that run a Tiger Cat. I've decided agaisnt the Turf Tiger simply because it's more mower than I'll need. The Tiger Cat is my 1st choice as of right now but I'd consider the Cheetah as well. The Cheetah isn't too much more $ than the Tiger Cat. My only concern with the Cat is the engine size. I'm getting a 61" deck and plan on running a rear 3 bin bagger as well. I'm concerned it'll bog down with a large deck and bagger. What I read was the largest engine for that machine is a 27hp Kawi air cooled. My old Wildcat had a 25hp and while it never stalled out, I did bog it down here and there. so will an extra 2hp be enough to run a larger deck and a bagger?

If I go with a Cheetah, I can get a larger engine. I wish the offered something in the 30hp range for the Tiger Cat. If you have anything good, bad or ugly to say about either the Cheetah or Tiger Cat, I'm all ears.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I would go with the Cheetah, I have found that the HP numbers these days are a little off and motors are weaker than they appear. There are alot of guys on here with the 34 kawi and love it! If you are going to be bagging then i would go with the biggest motor option.

I am also wondering why your sig says a 60" tigercat, already buy?

PlowSite-SnowFakers
Old 01-01-2013, 04:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandFakers View Post
I would go with the Cheetah, I have found that the HP numbers these days are a little off and motors are weaker than they appear. There are alot of guys on here with the 34 kawi and love it! If you are going to be bagging then i would go with the biggest motor option.

I am also wondering why your sig says a 60" tigercat, already buy?
ha good question, guess I got a little overly excited last time I updated the sig
Old 01-01-2013, 04:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have the cheetah with the 31 kawi, plenty of power and ride comfort. If you are going to a three bag bagger though you may want to reconsider the turf tiger.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

well I think I've decided to skip the rear bagger. The amount of work I'd use it for doesn't justify the cost. But I was quoted several prices between the Cheetah and Tiger Cat. I've decided on the Tiger Cat 61 with Kawi 27hp. The best price was $8600 - $1300 for a rear three point mower trade in for a pretax total of about $7,400....seems reasonable. What do you guys think?