Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-03-2013, 02:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I think before I bought anything, I'd want to get to demo them on real grass, and during the spring growth rush. It's a lot of money to spend to find that what you bought isn't quite what you'd hoped for on your properties. I don't know how tall you are, but I'm 6' and the TC is way too small/tight for leg room and overall comfort for me. The Cheetah is better, and the TT is far better.
I assume you've sat on all of them, but it's not quite the same as actually operating one under real world coonditions.

YMMV
Old 01-03-2013, 02:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

yeah I hear you on the size issue. I'm 6-4 and noticed the low height of the handles right away on the Tiger Cat. I'd have to make a little bracket to get them higher. The Tiger Cat is almost identical to the Wildcat I just sold. I loved the Wildcat and would take another in a heartbeat but no local dealers have any left, Scag quit making them I guess. The Wildcat cut great, was comfy to operate, pretty good on gas and light enough to not rut. I only sold it cause it had high-ish hours & it was a 52" vs a 61". I've grown enough to justify the cost of a new larger mower vs a used one so that's what I'm doing. The deck is the same between the both machines, just bigger, so I can't image the cut quality would be any different.

The price between the Tiger Cat and Cheetah is significant enough to go with the smaller machine. I also have no real purpose to mow grass at 50mph so the added cost of the cheetah won't help my productivity. I do all residentials and wouldn't need to hop around large complexes/parking lots. I just unload, mow, load up and hit the next one.

So besides the size issue, any other cons on the Tiger Cat?
Old 01-03-2013, 02:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I didn't mean there would be a difference in the QOC, but that each machine would handle different enough to possibly make a difference in production for you.

I wouldn't buy a Cheetah for the speed. It's rare that the average LCO has enough open spaces to take true advantage of it anyway. I do like the platform on it for comfort though.

The only other issue is as you've already noted- the engine options are limited. Personally, I like a bigger engine than that offered on the TC. You may not always need it, but it's nice to have when you do, and it's better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. IME, a larger engine doesn't always use more gas since they don't have to work as hard to cut the same grass. Plus, if you are steadily growing, you may soon find that you need it.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

gotcha. I stopped by a local dealer today on my way home. They had a Cheetah 52" demo unit sitting in the show room. I had slightly more room on the Cheetah than the TC but maybe by an inch. I still didnt fit under than handle bars. but MAN that suspension platform was sweet. The whole operator area has a shock absorber on it and its like an air ride seat.....Pretty slick but I don't think I can justify the increase in price. Still leaning toward the TC with the suspension seat. it's better on the hemorrhoids.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:41 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Not sure what engine they are using that is 27HP other than the Kohler. Their website shows an FX730 Kawasaki which was rated at 26HP under the old system and is 24.5 under the new system. Unless there are some models not on the site.

The Wildcat and Tigercat are the same exact mower. The Wild just had some extras tossed in. Hydro cooler, adjustable control levers, flat free front tires. I forget what else.

If you do decide to go with a collection system, I think you will be alright since the Tigercat has 10cc pumps.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

you're correct. the HP ratings seem to be a little jacked up currently from one dealer to another. I spoke to the one salesman today about it. He clarified that the Kawi 27 is actually a 26 under the new ratings. He also mentioned the 25 Kawi on my old Wildcat woulda been around 21hp with the new ratings. Seems most dealers I spoke to today weren't aware of this, or much else for that matter. I guess some of the literature from 2012 to 2013 hasn't been "updated" yet. So thanks for clarifying. I've def decided on the TigerCat and will be nixing the bagger.

On a side note, in the past two days, I've called about 15 dealers within drivein distance to me. Of those 15, I'd say 3 of them had a clue what they were talking about. The others were just reading specs right out of the book....I mean come on, for that kinda $$ for a stupid mower, I'd expect the salesman to know wtf he's saying. Most everything I got today was already right on the website and many dealers just quoted me MSRP and had an attitude of "eh take it or leave it" I'm really hoping my local dealer (which I really like) will come through on the price for me or at least get close. A little customer service goes a loooooooong way and it sure is nice to be treated respectfully when you're about to drop that kinda coin on a piece of equipment, even if it is a lower priced unit. thanks for all your help, I'll post pics whenever I buy something
Old 01-03-2013, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Services View Post
you're correct. the HP ratings seem to be a little jacked up currently from one dealer to another. I spoke to the one salesman today about it. He clarified that the Kawi 27 is actually a 26 under the new ratings. He also mentioned the 25 Kawi on my old Wildcat woulda been around 21hp with the new ratings. Seems most dealers I spoke to today weren't aware of this, or much else for that matter. I guess some of the literature from 2012 to 2013 hasn't been "updated" yet. So thanks for clarifying. I've def decided on the TigerCat and will be nixing the bagger.

On a side note, in the past two days, I've called about 15 dealers within drivein distance to me. Of those 15, I'd say 3 of them had a clue what they were talking about. The others were just reading specs right out of the book....I mean come on, for that kinda $$ for a stupid mower, I'd expect the salesman to know wtf he's saying. Most everything I got today was already right on the website and many dealers just quoted me MSRP and had an attitude of "eh take it or leave it" I'm really hoping my local dealer (which I really like) will come through on the price for me or at least get close. A little customer service goes a loooooooong way and it sure is nice to be treated respectfully when you're about to drop that kinda coin on a piece of equipment, even if it is a lower priced unit. thanks for all your help, I'll post pics whenever I buy something
There are a ton of posts and threads here on this subject. It's true that not many dealers seem to know the a** from a hole in the ground, which is really pathetic IMO.

The poster above who told you that the old 27 is now a 24.5 is correct. The dealer was still full of it when he said 26. It's all right on Kawi's website. Unfortunately, Kohler is not making the switch over to the new and more accurate rating system unless they have to for some of their bigger buyers like they have to for Deere, so their website is still misleading and causing confusion for many.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:26 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Honestly the dealer does not have access to much more information on new units than what is in the literature so reading the specs out of there is about all they can do. They might get a list of some new features or engine options at a yearly update but thats about it.

Doesnt matter what brand, its pretty much across the board. The ones that may be able to tell you a bit more are probably ones like myself that are the salesman and the mechanic combined since they may have worked on the machine or have looked it over thoroughly with mechanics eyes.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

ive used both.the tiger cat is real nimble, especially if you get a 52". if your gonna get a 61", get the turf tiger. hills with the tiger cat, forget about it lol. get the turf tiger if your cutting inclines

14 Years old
Old 01-07-2013, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Tiger Cat or Turf Tiger?

I have three turf tigers. All different engine sizes. I found out that the longer you are in business you can never have too much of a mower with the variety of accounts you may pick up. With that said the turf tiger can cover just about any scenario. The vanguard motors are by far my favorite for power. The new Kholer efi motor is very good also on fuel and power but we have it on a 52 inch Tt. If you want to be impressed get a 35 hp big block