Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-09-2012, 01:52 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Photo Shoot

We installed this landscape a few weeks back. Today I went back to add another light fixture and also snapped some night time photos. I think we probably overdid it a little on the pathway lights. You can see that in the last two photos. But the customer loved the work. I was happy with it. Always room for improvement though, I know......

All of the light fixtures were Kichler Design Pro LED except for the Pagoda. The pagoda was a custom job. We ran wire through it and installed those small bi-pin sockets with Brilliance drop-in LED path lights inside each level.

By the way, I didn't alter the color temperature at all in Photoshop. These photos are just how my camera took them.

Well, enjoy....criticize....whatever....
Attached Images

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon
Old 11-09-2012, 07:07 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLewis View Post
We installed this landscape a few weeks back. Today I went back to add another light fixture and also snapped some night time photos. I think we probably overdid it a little on the pathway lights. You can see that in the last two photos. But the customer loved the work. I was happy with it. Always room for improvement though, I know......

All of the light fixtures were Kichler Design Pro LED except for the Pagoda. The pagoda was a custom job. We ran wire through it and installed those small bi-pin sockets with Brilliance drop-in LED path lights inside each level.

By the way, I didn't alter the color temperature at all in Photoshop. These photos are just how my camera took them.

Well, enjoy....criticize....whatever....
Nice job fitting all the Landscaping in a small rear yard and the Lighting looks great.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:11 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Cool, simple asian design. Looks very clean. Nice job.

Tim Ryan
Lite4 Outdoor Lighting
www.lite-4.com
Old 11-09-2012, 11:19 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Love the features: the bridge, bench, pagoda. Nice look, Jim. Probably too many path/area lights for me but if your customer is happy, then you should be happy, too.

"This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine."
Old 11-09-2012, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I agree, nice, simple and clean. Nice lighting.
Tommy Herren, CLVLT #1169
Member of AOLP, CA chapter
www.thelightinggeek.com

Battling the Forces of Darkness Everywhere
Old 11-12-2012, 04:46 PM
Sponsor

Awesome work Jim - especially like what you did with the pagoda.

stevep@voltlighting.com

Outdoor Lighting and LED Light Bulbs from VOLT®.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Looks great as usual.

Just curious why the mulch mixed with gavel,,,most Japenese garden would have coarse sand that could be raked accasionally?
Old 11-12-2012, 07:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The designer chose all of the textures. I can't comment on exactly what she was thinking. But I can add some insight that might help.

First of all, dark mulch (dark hemlock barkdust) is very common around here. The most common way to fill planting beds. It goes with what the client has around the rest of their property. So I guess the use of this ties into the NW style of landscaping and the rest of the property.

Second, I think the general concept was to use a lot of different textures, each in their own area. We have 3 different varieties of river rock, some fine gravel, and the barkdust - each lending a different texture and defining a different area. So I guess the barkdust was just part of that plan of using different textures.

Third, sand doesn't do well in the NW. It gets very messy looking very quickly. Especially in this case, the neighbor has several big fir trees dropping needles regularly. In fact, we had to do a 2-hr. clean-up right before this photo shoot because so many needles had fallen between time we had finished the job and the time we took these photos (2 weeks). It's much easier to clean up needles from barkdust. Or at least we're used to doing that anyway. So our workers are fairly efficient at it. Trying to keep sand looking perfect - the way you see in real Japanese Gardens - would have been a logistical nightmare. And the barkdust at least blends in with the needles well enough that you wouldn't need to be constantly cleaning it, like you would with sand. Even without the needles, though, sand just doesn't stay looking nice here. I installed a nice little sandy beach in my cousin's back yard a few years back, as we were doing more of a tropical look in his yard. Palm trees, bananas, lots of flowering plants, etc. And we ended up removing the blond colored sandy beach a year or two later because it was impossible to keep it looking neat and clean. It always looked dirty. Sand, for the most part, isn't used in landscaping much at all up here.

So those are probably the reasons we didn't go with sand and used mulch instead. It's not 100% a real Japanese garden. It's the NW version of that, I guess.

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon

Last edited by JimLewis; 11-12-2012 at 08:01 PM.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:58 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Glad to see some more of your work, it looks great.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Looks real nice and thanks for the post. The Pacific NW. is a beautiful place. I visited Seattle in July and was utterly amazed to see pansies thriving, wouldnt happen here in Bama.