Register free!

Old 12-16-2012, 11:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Tree and Shrub Care?

Hey Guys,

I have done lawn care for 14 years now and I have recently I have been getting into Turf Chemical Applications etc. I have an extra sprayer and an extra tree in shrub gun, so I figured I would try to do some Tree and Shrub care as well. I took all the Classes and Tests to do this, but they never really went over what chemicals to use. They did mention Horticulture oils and thats about it. Any advice on Chemicals from anyone to get me started? From my research most companies down this way are treating Trees and Shrubs up to 6 times a year. I am really excited to get this side of my business going!

Mark
Old 12-17-2012, 10:22 AM
LawnSite Member

well you need to figure what insects and diseases are relative to your area.that way you can do prevenative apps and so on..you might want to consider deep root feedings aswell.remember to try and keep your lawn tank and tree/shrub tank seperate.since lawn herbacides may effect your tree/shrub care apps.

corey
Old 12-17-2012, 10:47 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwnla View Post
well you need to figure what insects and diseases are relative to your area.that way you can do prevenative apps and so on..you might want to consider deep root feedings aswell.remember to try and keep your lawn tank and tree/shrub tank seperate.since lawn herbacides may effect your tree/shrub care apps.

corey
I was just looking for what types of chemicals in general are being sprayerd here the south.. I have an extra sprayer as stated, that's why I was considering adding this to my business.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-17-2012, 10:59 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks fir your response! I was just looking for what types of chemicals in general are being sprayerd here the south.. From my research, other companies around here spray the same solution year round unless other chemicals are need and do 1 deep root feeding a year.. There general solution covers Insect, MIte & DIsease control,
Foliar Application of Fertilizer. Basicslly I am jusy looking for suggestons on types of chemicals people are spraying in the area. I am not very fanilar with all the different types of tree and Shrub chemicals yet.. I have an extra sprayer as stated, that's why I was considering adding this to my business.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by marks500; 12-17-2012 at 11:07 AM.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:03 AM
LawnSite Member

Sorry I was trying to add to my response on my phone but didn't work out as planned lol
Old 12-17-2012, 03:02 PM
LawnSite Member

hort oil works great for a number of things.I am in the north east and i use hort oil several times a year and use different chemicals (suspend)for different insects.If you have a lesco in your area they can be very helpfull.for giving you timelines and insects and products.

corey
Old 12-17-2012, 03:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marks500 View Post
I was just looking for what types of chemicals in general are being sprayerd here the south.. I have an extra sprayer as stated, that's why I was considering adding this to my business.
Posted via Mobile Device
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwnla View Post
hort oil works great for a number of things.I am in the north east and i use hort oil several times a year and use different chemicals (suspend)for different insects.If you have a lesco in your area they can be very helpfull.for giving you timelines and insects and products.

corey
Yes I do have a lesco near by... They are high priced but good selection.. You use any foliar fertilizer?
Old 12-17-2012, 10:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-17-2012, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Member

I use a lot of 20-20-20 foliar fert along with 8-10-10 granular with biosolids as a general shrub fert. I also incorporate Safari and imidicloprid products for scales and sucking insects. Lots of choices for crawling pests. I also rotate different classes of fungicides throughout the year. About 15 percent of our lawn care customers are also shrub accounts so it adds to the bottom line.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-17-2012, 10:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTPTURF View Post
I use a lot of 20-20-20 foliar fert along with 8-10-10 granular with biosolids as a general shrub fert. I also incorporate Safari and imidicloprid products for scales and sucking insects. Lots of choices for crawling pests. I also rotate different classes of fungicides throughout the year. About 15 percent of our lawn care customers are also shrub accounts so it adds to the bottom line.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yeah I dont expect the Tree and Shrub care to be real big, I just wanted to be prepared if anyone asks... I would like to have some chemicals on hand in case They ask. Anytime I have make more money in one stop I am down for that...lol.. Figured I would keep some Horticulture oil and some Coron on the truck just in case... My other sprayer that will be mounted in the back will stay half full of just water for cases like this.