Click for Weather

Old 11-17-2012, 11:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

9 apps Snaps but four is too few
Old 11-18-2012, 08:27 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
Iíve met some great professors from Ohio State University and they would disagree with you. They kind of wrote the bible for turf care in your state. I would go to some of their training courses. Best of luck
Dont bother trying to persuade him; youll never get through. After all, he says his long term goal is to be a local politician.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:51 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like to me it is not really 4 apps but someone is blending products.

Lets count applications

2 Pre-emergent (fall and spring and often one of those are often split in the south to extend CG control)
1 Post Grassy weeds
1 Post Broad Leaf

Now pick your fertilizer, Iron, Micros and so forth.

It "might" be a good idea to do a slow release in June to get you through the summer but that would be at minimum a 5th app.

I sure would not be putting down a high quality slow release fertilizer @ 1# of N for $45.00
Old 11-19-2012, 09:26 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Your right on the money. We do offer free service calls on our full program customers.

It's a shame some people don't get this industry, using four apps and comparing that to Tru Green's six app program. That's not saying much, chem lawn is a cliche in this industry.

That's the difference between successful business men and those who just get by.
TG is by far our biggest competitor...and my point is its not how many apps you do but the quality of the apps.

My four apps is by far a better program then their four apps.

You have yet to answer any of my questions.

Why are you applying in the summer drought?

What are your 6 apps?
Old 11-19-2012, 10:47 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Iíve met some great professors from Ohio State University and they would disagree with you. They kind of wrote the bible for turf care in your state. I would go to some of their training courses. Best of luck

I guess it doesn't matter who you know at OSU. I have been going to OSU conferences and field days for seven years and can honestly say I have NEVER heard them make a recommendation on apps. With that said I also have an agronomy degree and area of study in Turf Science.

I am saying that to say this:
I do whats best for my customers lawns. Yeah maybe from a business standpoint I could make more off them...but I choose not to.

Our program has done a great job for us and there are also many other LCO's in our areas that off the same program. If it didn't work I think its safe to say Lawn Plus wouldn't be where we it is today.

Now for the facts:

Read this:

http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/1000/1191.html

Key point:

"Most homeowners place too much emphasis on spring and summer fertilization. Some fertilizer is needed during the spring and summer; however, over-application of fertilizer at these times can cause disease, rapid growth requiring much more frequent mowing and other problems that result in "summer lawn nightmares."

Too bad most LCO's think like homeowners!

Both Ohio and Purdue recommend 4 fertilization apps a year. And say you can add a summer fertilization but to be careful.

Here is what Purdue (From you state) says:

http://www.agry.purdue.edu/turf/tips...03_21fert.html

Key point:

"Most turf fertilizer programs are constructed around an annual N requirement which varies depending upon the ownerís desired appearance, turf vigor and resources available to manage growth. A mature cool-season (e.g. bluegrass or fescue) lawn will typically receive 2-4 pounds of actual N/1000 sq ft/yr, spaced over 2-5 applications."
Old 11-19-2012, 10:57 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efficiency View Post
Dont bother trying to persuade him; youll never get through. After all, he says his long term goal is to be a local politician.

Long term????

I am running for County Commissioner in less then 2 years.

I have two business's that have been successful and will continue to be managed and grow without me.

I take local politics very seriously as this is all we can control now.

Why do you have a problem with someone that is having success and that can go and to give back to the community.
Old 11-25-2012, 12:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have not been on here for a few days but this thread is like so many others I have seen on here.

Someone provides inaccurate information and comments and then when proven they are wrong they just disappear.

I have asked several questions and have never gotten any answers.
In my mind that means there is no good answer!

Like how can you provide two summer apps when your lawn went three months with no rain.

This industry has too many LCO's that fly by the seat of their pants with no formal training, experience and knowledge and that plum don't have a clue. Homeowner's think they are hiring a professional but the LCO doesn't know much more then they do.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcreech View Post
Someone provides inaccurate information and comments and then when proven they are wrong they just disappear.

I have asked several questions and have never gotten any answers.
In my mind that means there is no good answer!
Where do you get off thinking you have the only right way to do things? Just sit back, believe in your mind that you won the argument, and be proud of your self. Not satisfying enough? Come back and keep stirring the pot.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:16 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Really depends on turf type and growing season.

. With fescue our growing season is feb-nov. if too hot lawns slow growth in the hot summer. So I find 6 apps work best.

With warm season the season runs march-October. We also have to deal with poa anu so winter apps are needed. I currently do 6 on warm but am considering moving to 7.

If there is a drought or lawns die off we will skip apps until conditions improve.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-28-2012, 06:08 PM
LawnSite Member

rcreech is a lost cause. No offense but you haven't proven anyone wrong, just your opinion.

I'm going to repost my original question so we can get back on task about what this thread was about in the first place. For the majority of those in our industry that provide six apps.

We have a six step turf program, most go with the standard six. Some customers want five so only one summer app instead of two, then there are customers with a taste for wine on a beer budget. They want three or four apps. That's fine save money I get it, but here is my question. Tell me if you agree.

I couldn't figure out years ago why some companies would not give a early fall app to these customers when it's the best time for weed control. They would give a spring, summer, and winterizer. I finally got on board with the same program for these accounts because I don't feel it's fair to give them the "premium" apps i.e. blanket spray and fert when it is the most time consuming round and most expensive. It doesn't seem fair to have all the work load to hire a couple of extra guys April through May and September through October. With less work and revenue through the summer so they can save money. The way I look at it is these people don't care enough about they're turf to get the full program so give them a little weed control & rounds 1 & 6. Thoughts?