Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-06-2015, 04:47 PM
LawnSite Member

The journey begins...

Hello all,

Got married this year.(WooHoo!) My father-in-law had been mowing my wife's yard periodically with his Scag Tiger Cat. But, when I moved in, I took over the grounds keeping duties. All I brought with me was a 20" or 21" Murray push mower. We have around 4 acres. Over 3 to mow. And, over 50 trees along with a house, wellhouse, 2000+ sq. ft. shop etc...to trim etc...So, to save money, we found a Craftsman 46" YTS 3000 lawn tractor for $400.00 locally on Craigslist...

Long story short. Alignment was out and before I could fix it with an adjustable tie rod doo-dad from O'reilly's, the alignment wore out more parts in the steering. So, it has been down for over a month.

The father-in-law brought the Tiger Cat over and let me use it. PURE JOY. Never used a ztr before. Completely sold me. So, I've been researching and have been mowing with the push mower since then. Yes. Over 3 acres with a push mower. Has taken me 2 weeks after work and on Sundays to mow the yard twice. The yard looks wonderful cut super low and I have lost 5 lbs or so.

The wife and I are paying off bills and saving money. So, we planned on getting a ztr next Spring. She said I could spend up to $5,000.00 So, researching I went. I had settled on a Hustler Raptor SD, Exmark Quest S series, or a Scag Liberty.(Found out a short while ago the Scag Liberty has been recalled)

Meanwhile, she was taking the Craftsman to my local Scag/Exmark/Stihl/etc... dealer that graciously agreed to work on it. So, today, a friend of ours with a truck and trailer gets her and the mower and they go. She calls me from there and offers to take pictures of their stock and such. Later, she brings me lunch and says they will call later with an estimate.

She then hands me a Scag T-shirt.

I'm all like, "What's that for? How much was that?"

She says, "It was kind-of expensive."

I ask "How much?"

She says, "$114.00 a month for 48 months." with a big ole Cheshire cat grin and nod to my lunch in a bag.

Yeah, a Scag key and keychain on top of my Arby's medium sized Beef and Cheddar sandwhich. I was all stupid and couldn't believe it. She says it is outside. So, I go out and its a 48" Scag Freedom Z.

Pictures are of the yard after push mowing. Pictures later of the Scag that is now at home waiting on me. I'm gonna mow the neighbor's yard or something.

My wife is awesome. She bought me a landscaping business starter set

Old 07-06-2015, 04:58 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Congrats on the new mower and welcome to the forum.
Old 07-06-2015, 05:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Thank you very much. I've been reading post after post doing my research. I was a groundskeeper at a golf course many years ago and am seriously considering lawn care as my next career.
Old 07-06-2015, 07:55 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have one of those things too!

A cool wife I mean...

Hahaha.. And a Scag..

Good for you!
Old 07-06-2015, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Congrats on getting married and training the wife so quick to buy you new toys. But this thread is worthless without pictures...
(2) Husky Backpack Blower BT150
Stihl Handhelds
and American Muscle

www.Platinumlandscapemanagement.com
Old 07-06-2015, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You're wife sounds like a keeper! Buying you food and a new toy?! Man you've got it made lol. Let's see some pictures of the mower!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-06-2015, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Here are pictures

Mowed the neighbor's yard and got my first $60.00 LOL He gave me a check. I'm keeping it as my first paid job. But, I won't cash it.

A few pics of what I cut.

In this picture, the foreground was cut at 2.75" with the Tiger Cat yesterday. I cut the neighbor's yard with the Freedom Z at 3" today.

And, now, my dirty 48" Scag Freedom Z

And, after I hosed it off

Last one. Light was just right.

Had to double cut a few spots where the grass was overgrown. As in, over a foot high and quite thick. Other than that, this thing worked great. Deck mowed evenly. Dealer must have set it up properly. Tires are at a low pressure. Again, dealer didn't overfill them. Or, let out air after uncrating it.

It had zero hours on it. Now has 1.6 and I have a giant smile on my face.
Old 07-13-2015, 08:23 AM
LawnSite Member

What do you use a tarp for?

Trimmed some Bradford Pears and other stuff on one of my fence lines this weekend. I don't have a truck or trailer. And, a pull behind cart would take tens of loads. So, I used an already ragged tarp to drag behind the mower. Looking at the pictures, you may think that attaching to the top of the ROPS would be a flip over hazard. But, actually, the way I attached it held the leading edge off the ground to reduce the chances of the load catching in the ground. Also, I only drove half a mile an hour or so. And, with me on the mower, we weighed a little under a thousand pounds while the loads I pulled weighed 200-300 lbs. After all was said and done, got two full loads hauled, about a hundred feet of fence line cleaned up, and no gouges or ruts in the yard.

What do you use YOUR tarp for?

Old 07-13-2015, 04:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Cash that check and buy some beer
Old 07-13-2015, 05:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Do not wash those mowers the connectors bearings are not wat3r proof.