Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-15-2012, 03:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Simple: Fake Blue Heron. Blue Herons hate each other and will not hunt when another is present. They're not that bright. Buy 'em online or at the local home and gardern center.
Old 11-15-2012, 04:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'd fill the pond up with feeder gold fish and watch the bird...fish are boring. If you can't beat em, join em...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-15-2012, 04:40 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgaengineer View Post
I'd fill the pond up with feeder gold fish and watch the bird...fish are boring. If you can't beat em, join em...
Posted via Mobile Device
LOL. I did purchase a couple dozen mud minnows yesterday, set the go pro camara up and sure enough he cleaned out the pond. Only problem he came in just before dawn and left soon after. To dark (rainy) to catch on video. I'm going to try again in the morning. After I get him on vid I will go into Heron protection mode and restock my Koi pond. I live on the marsh/ocean, can see plenty of them there and on the golf courses.
Old 11-15-2012, 05:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Herons prefer feeding at dawn and sometimes again at dusk which is why many people who lose fish are at a loss as to their disappearance.
Maybe in some parts of the world herons are not too 'bright', but here on the Gulf Coast they are quite intelligent and cunning....and extremely patient. They can stand perfectly motionless for a considerable length of time waiting for a pond fish to come out of hiding.
Heron decoys do not work, at least in this area. As stated earlier, strategically placed monofilament and a 'Scarecrow' are your best line of defense, unless perhaps you want to adopt a large dog and get guaranteed results. I wouldn't advise a small dog as Great Blue herons are known to eat small animals also.
Old 11-15-2012, 05:11 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have four dogs and that's how I figured out a heron was at the pond. I let them out in the morning and he immediately flew up. Only problem with my dogs are that they are couch potatos and would probably croak if left outside for extended periods. Fishing line around the pond does seem like it would do the trick.
Old 11-15-2012, 05:12 PM
LawnSite Member

I actually have a picture of a blue heron standing right next a heron decoy in one of my customers house needless to say they're useless lol..
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-16-2012, 06:39 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellB View Post
I have four dogs and that's how I figured out a heron was at the pond. I let them out in the morning and he immediately flew up. Only problem with my dogs are that they are couch potatos and would probably croak if left outside for extended periods. Fishing line around the pond does seem like it would do the trick.
Hope you upload the video from the GoPro when you get some videos of the heron.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-16-2012, 07:29 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Does anyone know if they are territorial? As in once you scare one off, does it come back? I have the same problem, it's there most days of the week. If they are like geese we should be able to bother them until they leave.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:34 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turner_landscaping View Post
I actually have a picture of a blue heron standing right next a heron decoy in one of my customers house needless to say they're useless lol..
Posted via Mobile Device
From what I've heard if you don't move the decoy around they get wise and will just show up for dinner/breakfast. The fishing line detail you mentioned seems to work the best with a scarecrw added for good measure.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:33 AM
LawnSite Member

Its not so much territorial as it is there is always one waitn when the first one is discouraged. Keith you are right in that u do need to move it around, however if its mating season the decoys are just as likely to attract then chase off.. lol. The fishing line for us around here works the best. Scarecrow's are good but i hate them cause i always forget there is one and i get nailed everytime lol.. i have more problems with mink than herons though.. now they are a pain n the butt
Posted via Mobile Device