Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-15-2012, 07:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ford Van Idling High Intermittently

1994 Ford 5.8liter engine. Ocassionally you will stop at stop light and the engine is idling real high. Once it gets in that mode it stays until you shut off engine and restart. Today I ran around as if I had an egg under my throttle foot and the van run fine all day. This was an attempt to NOT actuate the EGR.

The engine error codes are: 332 EGR, 311 Thermactor , 411 rpm not in range, and 412 can not raise rpm.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Idle air control valve...sometimes you can clean them...carbon builds up around the pintle. Ford was really bad about these going bad in those years.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-15-2012, 08:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Here is some input in Ford Forum to a guy with same probem as mine . I was leaning toward the TPS. Any comment on that?

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/96...high-idle.html

(This was the advise to the guy with problem)

There is an electrically controlled valve that lets air bypass the butterfly. That is how the idle speed is adjusted. The TPS and temperature sensor are in the same circuit and electrically affect the idle speed. To troubleshoot the sensors check them with a meter. You need a meter with a needle to check the TPS and then it's still a little voodoo. You can check the bypass valve by making a gasket that blocks airflow through the valve. Good luck.

(This from the guy with problem)

I assume your talking about the IAC, (Idle Air Control) valve? If so I had already changed that out last summer without any changes.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

A egr valve stuck open will cause a engine to die at idel.

Its possible you have a interement leak in your break booster, next time it idels high plug the vacumne line to the booster off and see if it idels down.

Also the isc valve could still be your problem, where its housed may be full of carbon causing it to stick.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
A egr valve stuck open will cause a engine to die at idel.
Agree....but since I change things when I don't stomp on it suggests something related to EGR is involved. Just not sure what .

Its possible you have a interement leak in your break booster, next time it idels high plug the vacumne line to the booster off and see if it idels down.

Ok will try that

Also the isc valve could still be your problem, where its housed may be full of carbon causing it to stick.
Well an IAC (idle air control valve) would sure be worth replacing first since that TPS is going to be a little ugly on a van.I

t sure is helpful to be able to find people on utube replacing
these parts.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:53 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

As for the EGR, block that baby off with a piece of aluminum. EGR is just plain stupid. The only emission control part that should be on a car is a cat.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-16-2012, 07:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

When the engine is idling high I can shut it off and turn it back on and the idling is fine. I can rev up the engine and idle stay low.
Old 11-17-2012, 06:55 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I second the idle air control valve, aka idle air motor / idle air control / idle air control motor / and so on... They are a real pain in the butt as they all seem to gunk up over time, Ford isn't the only one, bmw's have them too... And erratic / high idle is exactly how they act, actually...
On bmw's when they go bad the result is usually a constant surging engine, in a stick shift it sounds like you're trying to race.
And it doesn't go away when shutting the engine off, but perhaps on Fords that resets it?

Once you know what a faulty idle air valve behaves you'll almost always right away know this problem but if you don't know what it's like the only way to troubleshoot this might be to replace it with one that's known to be working.

If it's not that it's either a vacuum leak, worth checking all those rubber hoses first.
And if you're in the mood you can get into the EGR but that's usually behind the air filter way in back up under the firewall.

If you have a vacuum gauge it's easy to diagnose for leaks.

On a side note I can agree that EGR is a load of BS.

Last edited by herler; 11-17-2012 at 07:01 PM.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Have to have those EGR's for the tree huggers...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-17-2012, 08:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgaengineer View Post
Have to have those EGR's for the tree huggers...
Posted via Mobile Device
A 5.8 may have a lot of "spark knock" without one