Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-24-2006, 04:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

my review of the 13hp billy goat force blower

It pushes beautifully on the lawn. It is not hard to push at all, even though it is 13hp. I pushed it on the ugliest of hills. If you think it is too heavy, you are probably in the wrong business. It is a little tippier than my giant vac, but totally manageable. It is extremely powerful and quiet. The chute can point way down or way up in the air.
Next year they will have the directable chute- this will be the cat's pajamas.
As long as the plastic holds up, which as long as you dont drop it off the truck it should, this is an awesome blower. I cut my blowing time WAY down. This machine is flat out awesome and much easier to use than the 11hp giant vac that it is now replacing.
Time will tell about reliablility and longevity, but the performance is flat out awesome.
Old 11-24-2006, 04:43 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Sounds like it is a good machine. I would love to have one and I probally will next season. Good luck with the machine.
Old 11-24-2006, 05:52 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

very close to how I would review my 13hp force too. I would rate it "very tippy" though. I have twice rolled it over this season on steep hills. it doesn't take much for it to get hung up and roll over. Both times I've managed to hang onto it and spin it on the front wheel and get it right'ed before the low oil pressure cut-off kicks in. I too have definitely cut my time down. If you do charge by the hour you have to raise your rates to "make it back". I charge by the job, so I was very happy to cut my blower time down significantly this year.
Old 11-24-2006, 05:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

How much does the BG 13hp Force blower weigh? What brand of engine?

When the comment about tippy is made, are you referring to side-to-side? Is the wheelbase narrower than other blowers? Or, is the weight of the engine more than other blowers, and, sitting high, makes the unit less stable side-to-side?
Old 11-24-2006, 06:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I guess they realize that they made a mistake by taking the hand operated chute off, that is a very nice feature.
Old 11-24-2006, 06:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am patiently waiting my prototype chute control. They have been planning it all along and the current force has the proper connections on the housing so that it can be retrofitted. It is tippy because the motor and housing are higher off the ground than typical. It is really no big issue as long as the operator is aware of it. Once I realize it, I was ready for it. It has a honda 13hp and weighs 161lb
Old 11-24-2006, 07:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Guess i will wait to get the problems fixed,staying with the max but working longer on leaves.
Old 11-24-2006, 08:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Whew! 161 pounds! I have an 8hp Lesco, at 128 pounds. On soft turf (much of that this FAll with so much rain), and up slopes, it is a real load to handle. Add another 33 pounds, and I guess I am in the category of "being in the wrong business." I know I am on the lower scale of strength and size (5-9, 165#, and 65 years old), and I'm not sure I would replace the 128# machine with a 161# machine. On some of the steeper slopes, I put a pull rope on my blower, so that somebody else can help pull it up the slopes. Yes, that is real hard work, and can really sap the strength, but it is the quickest way to move the leaves.
Old 11-25-2006, 05:50 AM
LawnSite Member

I have 6 lil' wonders with 9hp hondas, but I'm liking this billy goat and think I'm going to give one a whirl next fall, assuming it has the controllable chute, that is KEY!!!

Question, you guys seem to be buying the 13hp. Is the 13 that much better than the 9? I would think that if it was only a tiny bit better, I'd stay with the 9hp, to keep the weight down, no?
Old 11-25-2006, 06:01 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongmd
I Is the 13 that much better than the 9? I would think that if it was only a tiny bit better, I'd stay with the 9hp, to keep the weight down, no?
more air volume