Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-16-2012, 03:28 PM
LawnSite Member

School bid. What do you think?

Just remember not getting a job won t break you but getting on can.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:52 PM
LawnSite Member

these guys have some good advice. but i know it smells like candy and you want it bad but some times you just need to walk away and focus on smaller jobs. we all learn from our mistakes start small and work up to something like this and when you are ready for somehting this big you will know because you wont have to ask us.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:36 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I figure around 25-30k just for mowing. Not including trimming, mulch or pruning. Using 2 72" Z's and 2 Walkers for tight areas. If you're coming in at half of that as a solo guy you need to re-evalute your bidding practices
Old 11-16-2012, 08:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the advice. I went into Excel and tried to create a rough bottom line. Calculated average fuel costs per hour, a small maintenance fee per hour, etc. I came up with $10 bottom line just in fuel costs per hour which could change according to fuel prices.

I came to the conclusion that I would need to bid no less than $35 an hour for 20 mowings, bringing the bid up to no less than $22,000. So I definitely think me winning the contract is out of the question.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Consider these cost in addition to fuel to develop your coat of operation
Depreciation
Replacement cost
Payroll and employee taxes
Employer/business taxes
Wear and tear
License and insurance
Savings(possibly different category)

I think once you figure that out you will see that your cost will be closer to 25-30hr on the low end and you will probably want to make at least 15/hr to make it even worth it right now BC of all the headaches coming your way as a business owner

I'm glad you headed the advice and hope you continue to develop your cost of doing business. Measure everything and keep good records other wise you won't know what you need to improve on
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-16-2012, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

30 acres for a high school? something sounds wrong. How much of that is ACTUALLY TURF.

I think what the OP is saying is the ENTIRE property is 30 acres (plus 16 for the other properties) but there is parking lots, basketball courts, buildings etc.

How much is the measured turf??

I used to maintain Yale University, and they did not have 30 acres of turf to mow. I doubt this High School has that much mowable turf so that is the misconception we are dealing with here, sight unseen.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Yes, the High School by itself is approximately 35ish acres, however, there's approximately 25-30 acres of mowable turf. The other three schools are approximately 16 acres combined. Practice Football field is the only thing not mowed; the coaches take care of that with their reel mower.

State law requires newer schools to have a certain amount of acreage. Don't know why. I attached a photo.
Attached Images

Old 11-16-2012, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

By looking at this picture how do you figure 85 percent of that is moveable, did you walk it with a wheel? I see a lot of road, sidewalk etc plus a huge patch of what is that sand?

The entire contract, if your measurements are right, would take my crew 62 man hours to complete a single mowing of all sites. I run crews that specialize in athletic field and facility maintenance lets assume you are going to charge 40 an hour ( I charge more) and you aren't as efficient as I am so say 70 man hours. That's 2800$ per cut, you said 20 cuts per season , that's a 56000$ contract. Since you are planning every other week cuts, split the properties so you are doing the high school on week 1 and the others on week 2 this will have you working around 55 hours one week and 25 hours the other week, leaving room for other things (not to mention maintenance on equipment)
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-16-2012, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

That doesn't look like 30 but hard to tell
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-16-2012, 10:46 PM
LawnSite Member

You beat me to the punch. I sat down and calculated with the measuring tool available on the website and tried to roughly measure all the mowable areas. It came out to be 22.9 acres.

The big patch of sand? I guess you're looking at the football field which has gone dormant.

Anyway, the area right in the front of the school along the highway. You see the big L shaped drive coming off the Hwy, that whole huge section that runs the length in front of the school (from red line to red line) is 12 acres of open turf. The remaining acreage came from the back and sides of the school.

I can vouch that the tool is reasonably accurate because where I live is one acre, and the measure tool recorded 1 acre on the line I drew.