Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-18-2012, 02:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Spot Treating Weeds in Dormant Bermuda

Does anybody spot treat for weeds in dormant Bermuda? If so what is your approach. Do you just hit them with some round-up (Certainly the cheapest route) or tackle it with some speed zone or Vessel? My pre-m program is not working as well a the past. These weeds in my customers yards are driving me crazy.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We don't used roundup if it's not completely dormant you will have dead spots in spring. The product depends if you are targeting grassy or broadleaf weeds? Temps are also very important.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLandscaping View Post
We don't used roundup if it's not completely dormant you will have dead spots in spring.
I made that mistake last winter. It looked dormant to me...

oops
Old 11-18-2012, 07:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i think even if its 100% dormant you will still have dead spots. or atleast i did a long time ago when i did that
Old 11-18-2012, 08:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We had problems with Atrazine on common Bermuda. We had a mild winter. Your pre should work if you applied it at right time. What weeds are you having problems with.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-19-2012, 11:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think the safest route would be to spray any of the synthetic auxin products you mentioned, but watch the label and the weather carefully. Products with 2,4-D, MCPA, and MCPP have heavier restrictions about wind speed and drift than they used to. With this being the windier time of year in much of the southeast, it may make application difficult.

Using non-selectives can be tricky in the fall and winter, because what looks dormant may not always be dormant. There may still be some green tissue down in the canopy or in some random spots that trap heat and keep their color. As some guys have mentioned here, if there's even a little bit of green tissue left, you're going to see damage in the spring. Even if the lawn is 95% dormant, you can still get some damage. I don't like using non-selectives because of the opportunity to damage something you didn't want to spray in the first place.

So, I would say grab whatever synthetic auxin product you're most comfortable with, watch the weather, and spray those weeds!
Old 11-19-2012, 11:20 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Good grief. Glyphosate can be a growth regulator. I've sprayed it on Bermuda at rates near 1 oz per k during growing seasons and the Bermuda yellowed out then came back. Not once have I had an issue of dead spots spraying gly at 46-64oz per acre from mid December through the breaking of the willow tree buds.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-19-2012, 05:24 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrashears View Post
Good grief. Glyphosate can be a growth regulator. I've sprayed it on Bermuda at rates near 1 oz per k during growing seasons and the Bermuda yellowed out then came back. Not once have I had an issue of dead spots spraying gly at 46-64oz per acre from mid December through the breaking of the willow tree buds.
Posted via Mobile Device

I agree. I treat about 90% bermuda here. Almost all the rest is zoysia. We've had some heavy frosts/freezes the last couple weeks and today I saw some bermuda areas I would spray with glyphos and not bat an eyelash. There are some areas like up close to the homes where it is still green that need a couple more weeks of overnight freezes before I'd feel comfortable spraying but bermuda will come out just fine next spring. Now...zoysia is a different story. I won't spray it at any time with glyphos for weeds. In more northern climates, I've heard of zoysia being sprayed with glyphos with no harmful effects. At least in this area, zoysia does not go dormant enough. Growth habits of zoysia can make the effect of any turf injury almost disastrous. and I have seen damage in the past by homeowners and LCO's alike from the use of Glyphos in "dormant" zoysia.