Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-18-2012, 07:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

For guys who primarily use 21inchers

I started my business with the goal of being different than the competition by using small mowers only. We all know theres many benefits to using 21 inchers vs mid size walk behinds.

What size lawns do you typically cut with your 21 inchers?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-18-2012, 07:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

There are a lot of companies that mow with nothing but 21 in my area.

Believe it or not some clients like the cut of the 36 better.

I do not think I would want to cut more than 3 to 5K of actual turf and expect to be competitive.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ohhhh...this is about mowers......

I don't typically cut anything with my 21 inch mower. I did mow 1 small lawn with it over the summer when my 48 inch walk behind went down. From time to time I'll get a lawn that I need it for a small area, but generally I have little use for it....just takes too long and I have to walk...I do enough of that as it is.

If you're in an area with small lots I say go for it. You can skip the trailer and get into places that the guys with bigger rigs can't. One of the members here, Jim Lewis, has been very successful running only 21 inch mowers, although he did add a larger mower recently for the first time. There are threads on this subject that he's commented on in the past. Here, check this thread out.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...ighlight=mower
Old 11-18-2012, 08:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I did it for a little while out of necessity, but i think i wore down my cartilage in my left knee. It got old real quick. I'll use a 21 only when i have to.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I use mine for lawns that are around 5k square feet or less, except one lawn that is about .75 acres that takes me two and a half hours to do but that is because I own nothing else. I plan on adding a 48 inch walk behind for my larger yards and either a 36 or the new Exmark Commercial 30 next year for my smaller yards, but will still need a 21 for some areas.

Whatever you do just make sure you get a commercial grade 21 like a Toro Heavy Duty, Exmark or Snapper. I find most residential mowers these days are not adequate for commercial use. That being said I never have used the Honda HRX
2013 Exmark Commercial 21 X Series Kawasaki BBC
2012 Exmark Commercial 21 S Series
2013 Echo PAS-280
2013 Echo PB-770T
Old 11-18-2012, 09:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallstripesnc View Post
I started my business with the goal of being different than the competition by using small mowers only. We all know theres many benefits to using 21 inchers vs mid size walk behinds.

What size lawns do you typically cut with your 21 inchers?
Posted via Mobile Device
Thats a good question i usually only cut small lawns to begin with. Mostly stuff that takes a hour or less. I got a toro time master in june and havent really used a 21 since.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

When I han my business in Southern California thats all I used, and never saw anyone else use anything bigger.

The cost of running a 21" is litterally 2 to 3 cents on the dollar compared to running bigger stuff.

If you have a business model that will work with only 21" mowers stick with it, you will be far ahead of the rest of us in here.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have two toro prolines with the suzuki two cycle that i love and another toro recycler with the gts suzuki two cycle.

I was just curious to whats too big for these mowers. I have an employee so we have two 21s going at once.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-18-2012, 09:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

All the lawns I cut are under 1/2 acre. But the few that are right at 1/2 acre or slightly under I can definitely see im spending more time even with two mowers going.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-18-2012, 09:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallstripesnc View Post
All the lawns I cut are under 1/2 acre. But the few that are right at 1/2 acre or slightly under I can definitely see im spending more time even with two mowers going.
Posted via Mobile Device
You may try renting or borrow or even demo a bigger mower and see it the additional expense is worth it.