Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-18-2012, 02:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabee24 View Post
Don't take this the wrong way, I'm not exactly for Obama care....but. Consider this.

A lot of "mid sized " and large Lawncare companies get these huge advantages over the smaller companies. They get buying discounts for buying large qty. it's some times not even funny the price breaks they get. Then they get to factor other things like only needing 1 bed edger to support 8 crews. I have 1 for 2 crews. As a result they can bring down their cost to operate.

Well the joke is on them. In this case the small companies may get the advantage getting tax breaks, or at least not having to deal with the Obama care and no penalty.

They may have to actually raise prices to afford it.

This could actually work in our favor
It is the law of the land and it is not going way so we need to learn what is going to happen. It does seem that having less than 25 employees is going to be an advantage in regards to this law. There are several other federal laws that do not apply to the micro small company of 10 or 15 or so employees.

I do not think the tax credits will last for us to buy insurance more than 2 years. Right now it seems to last for the low income individuals based on several things
  1. income level relative to the poverty scale
  2. percentage of their wages they spend on insurance
  3. The size of the family

Very confusing but I have looked at the implications a few times in the past and a whole lot the last 2 days.

Only time will tell if this is a horrible thing or a good thing. Something has to be done to help control cost which PPACA does not seem to do.

Whatever advantage we do get will not last long as the big boys adjust.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:48 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duekster View Post
Kelly,

I think I read seasonal workers do not count but that meant retail holiday hires, I suspect your right however even excluding H2B workers the big boys will now have to do something.
The seasonal workers get hit worse. If you employ someone year round paying their insurance may even make sense too you. But when they have a month or more off now your paying insurance on someone that isn't making you money year round and that's a much harder position to accept.

Now personally Id like to see the entire insurance model fail and I probably have a very short wait on that. Then the doctors can fire all their office staff to process the insurance, iv been in places where one doctor has 8 or 10 support staff. The prices can then drop since you pay cash and the extra tests get scrutinized since it came out of your pocket. And people can pretend they are adults and own their own choices and decisions.

It's hilarious to see businesses now talking about ways to get around paying insurance. Since the reason businesses offer insurance in the first place was to get around a government / Dem pay freeze thought up to keep down inflation in ww2. Companies couldn't offer higher wages legally then so they offered benefits to entice new workers. So here we are 70 plus years later still manipulating a system that worked fine until they tried to fix it.

The government could of allowed individuals to write off health insurance on their taxes for the last 70 years but never did. That is why we have the employer paid insurance system we have now only now the rates jump double digits every year and that will not continue for much longer before collapse. We do the same thing with student loans by allowing students to borrow money the collages were able raise their prices at 3-5 times inflation or more and now the only thing they can think of to help is government subsidized loan rates. A better solution is end all government backed loans immediately and watch how fast tuition drops in price.

As for guys quote expecting insurance I do not believe they will. This trade isn't going to offer it so if they wish to be employed as landscapers they will do so knowing their is no employer health insurance. And considering the u3 unemployment number which is as rosy as it gets is 7.9 the real number the u6 is more than double that and about to go up significantly higher I think they will choose being employed. Iv been reading about this too and some estimates is obamacare costs 6-7 million more jobs as its implemented I tend to think that too is a rosy scenario.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I think I need to go to colorado or washington to get this off my mind
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-18-2012, 06:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I am somewhat lucky to be in an area with a short off season.

I know there are many concerns about Obama Care including if it was ever actually intended to work or is designed to be a gateway to a single payer system and others revolve around the intended or untended consequences.

Nonetheless we are facing down the gun barrel of new regulation that will impact us personally, our employees personally and perhaps our business and even clients. We are trying to develop some stratigies to cope as well as understand our choices in light of this regulation.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCLawn and more View Post
I think I need to go to colorado or washington to get this off my mind
Posted via Mobile Device
I do not smoke but would not mind seeing this passed nationwide. We spend too many resources combating MJ. I have read some antipodal evidence there is some legitimate medical uses as well. The cotton trade is dead so perhaps the propaganda could stop now.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:05 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

^^^^ I agree above....too many resources spent...let them smoke out...it might mellow out some
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-18-2012, 07:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I more just being stupid. I don't do that but I think it should lawed. They can't fight it, so accept it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-18-2012, 07:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

There are several theories about why it was targeted to begin with but that is another thread.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ya know if you payed the $2000 fine that's only about $1.50 a hour expense as seasonal workers. That's not a lot to pass on to customers.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-30-2012, 04:23 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

The fines are relatively low now but are expected to increase within a few years.

I was hoping we would have more news about these exchanges.