Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-07-2012, 08:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

What is the Consensus on the Gravely Hydro Walk Hehinds?

I just found a Gravely dealer that is only a few miles from my house. I have been wanting to get a hydro walk behind and I had my heart set on an Exmark, but I might want to check out the Gravely depending on the price. How is the build and cut quality on these mowers?
Old 11-07-2012, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We got 3 gravelys, 48 and 52" hydro walk behind (non pistol grip type) and a 60" 260z

The cut quality one the 60 and 52 are 10/10, the 48 is 8/10, it will leave straglers if your not carefull, although this could be the because the pitch of the deck, i havent check it in a while.

Build on them are 10/10 heavy duty everything from what I can see. We had a few problems with the 52" controls ( airleak in the hydro lines) payed $100 to bring it too local gravely dealer and they thought they fized it with a new resevoir cap (makes 0 sense) and ofcourse that didnt fix it.. I later educated my self on hydro static mowers and found it was caused by a loose hydro oil filter. Was FURIOUS at the dealer. I no longer bring ANY of my mowers there and do all of my own repairs (so far its been that, replacing a spring and replacing a stripped mower blade spindle (not the mowers fault, employee over tightend with a air ratchet and stripped it) only reason I go there is for parts

We also have a 3 bag bagger on the 60" and it works AMAZINGLY well, the 52 and 48 have the standard baggers that work good but not as good as the 60"

Id recommend getting a Gravely. but as with all mowers, educate yourself on how to diagnose and fix any problems you have.

Also, i must say the customer service at ariens is top notch
Old 11-08-2012, 11:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thank you Anders.

I actually just went by my dealer this morning. They had a 48 inch Pro Walk Hydro and a Pro Stance as well. I got a chance to demo them both and all I got to say is..... WOW! I am surprised not many other LCOs are using Gravely in my area. They are build like tanks and handle extremely well. I love the controls on the Pro Walk, very comfortable and handle just like a ztr.

I also see why the new Pro Stance is getting a lot of attention, it is an incredible mower. I thought I would be putting off getting a stander but I might just have to get one. My dealer also had pretty much every Gravely walk behind in stock and I had no idea Gravely's 32 inch was a floating deck model, very nice.

Dealer was also very friendly and we got Sheffield on the phone and talked financing, very great service plus it is only about ten minutes from my house. Looks like I will be using Gravely mowers in the future, except for my 21s, those will still be Exmark.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:48 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

If you haven't seen it yet here is my review on the new Gravely Pro-Stance.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=389107

I also have a review on the Pro-Turn 400. I hope to demo the Pro-Walk this spring and review it as well. Gravely has really made some great products and I'm excited about whats to come!!
Old 11-08-2012, 11:53 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
If you haven't seen it yet here is my review on the new Gravely Pro-Stance.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=389107

I also have a review on the Pro-Turn 400. I hope to demo the Pro-Walk this spring and review it as well. Gravely has really made some great products and I'm excited about whats to come!!
I saw that, nice review! How is the Pro Turn holding up for you?

I can say that the Pro Walk is the best one I have tried so far, that is including the Scag and Exmarks I have tried. I am now very excited, can;t wait to have them in my trailer.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:57 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church2224 View Post
I saw that, nice review! How is the Pro Turn holding up for you?

I can say that the Pro Walk is the best one I have tried so far, that is including the Scag and Exmarks I have tried. I am now very excited, can;t wait to have them in my trailer.
My 452 has been amazing! IMO the most comfortable ZTR on the market. It has held up great as its built like a tank. Gravely has really started making industrial strength machines.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
My 452 has been amazing! IMO the most comfortable ZTR on the market. It has held up great as its built like a tank. Gravely has really started making industrial strength machines.
Thanks GM. Next time I am at my dealer I will take a look at their Pro Turn, they only had one in stock, though, a 60 inch.
Old 11-18-2012, 01:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We purchased 3 new Gravely walkbehinds at the first of this season 61,48,36. All of them have mulch kits and the cut quality is excellent. We swore by Toro and Exmark over the past 10 years and still have several as backups, but from now on gravely will be the only we buy. Check into Gravely's fleet program also we got 20% off list if you spend over 10K.
Old 11-18-2012, 03:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k1yzfr1 View Post
We purchased 3 new Gravely walkbehinds at the first of this season 61,48,36. All of them have mulch kits and the cut quality is excellent. We swore by Toro and Exmark over the past 10 years and still have several as backups, but from now on gravely will be the only we buy. Check into Gravely's fleet program also we got 20% off list if you spend over 10K.
Thanks 2k! How does the 61 inch handle, mainly on hills? I am thinking about a 60/61 inch unit down the line and do not know if I should go with a walk behind, stand on or zero turn rider.
Old 11-18-2012, 04:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Gravely 36 pro hydro with the pro steer controls. Its a very high quality mower but with the accelerator bagger it blows the grass and leaves out the front. The bagger is on correctly and everything and it still blows out the front.

The quality of cut is okay but not as good as my old scag belt drive or my 21 inchers.