Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-27-2012, 01:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
Yes, that is the exact anology I was going to use, but was too lazy to type.

If you have a curved tip on your blower, you'll experience more back thrust than you will with a straight tip. However, having the curved tip helps when the tip is close to the ground and you're trying to move leaves forward. It tends to make the airflow get under and lift the leaves where the CFM can make them move forwards more readily.

Having another center tube section will get the tip down closer to the ground, which concentrates the airflow closer to the ground and leaves the impression that you have more MPH than you really do. The only true way to gain CFM or MPH is with more power, or a better fan design on the same HP engine. Still, you can maniplulate the CFM/MPH to some degree by either narrowing the nozzle opening which gives higher MPH but reduces CFM, or by opening the nozzle diameter at the tip to increase CFM but decrease MPH.
You typed exactly what I was going to say about decreasing the nozzle size. I do this in my aquariums on the filter outlets. You reduce the outlet which increases pressure giving you more water movement but of course with no increase in actual flow, and in reality probably lowering it a tad.

For ~$20 shipped what can I loose?!
ECHO PB-300e
Old beast! I cant wait to
get my new decals in the mail!!!
Old 11-27-2012, 01:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutsedge View Post
You typed exactly what I was going to say about decreasing the nozzle size. I do this in my aquariums on the filter outlets. You reduce the outlet which increases pressure giving you more water movement but of course with no increase in actual flow, and in reality probably lowering it a tad.

For ~$20 shipped what can I loose?!
You won't lose anything just by adding the extra tube, and you may notice a real gain in performance simply because the airflow will now be closer to the ground. My wife likes to use my old BR320 Stihl, since it is so light, and I have several extra sections that I can install or remove as needed depending on if she is running it or I am. One is an old curved tip that someone molested and was useless, so I cut it off about 4-5 inches in front of the grooves molded in to it where it attaches to the next section up. It lowered the tip closer to the ground just enough to see a real gain in scouring and ability to then get that debris moving.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Maybe I should just scrounge around pop's garage and see what shop vac tubes I can find laying around.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-27-2012, 02:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutsedge View Post
Maybe I should just scrounge around pop's garage and see what shop vac tubes I can find laying around.
Posted via Mobile Device
My old "blower" is the "6.5HP 200 MPH" motor off my Craftsman shop vac that pops off the rest of the assembly, that insert the 4' of tubing into.
Husqvarna 435
Super crappy yard
Old 11-27-2012, 02:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave88LX View Post
My old "blower" is the "6.5HP 200 MPH" motor off my Craftsman shop vac that pops off the rest of the assembly, that insert the 4' of tubing into.
I have one of those too and believe me, there's nooooo comparison with any mid range and above BP blower.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Oh I can imagine. I'm sure I'll be blown away by how much better this performs.
Husqvarna 435
Super crappy yard
Old 11-27-2012, 02:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If your shop vac blower is like mine, the only way it gets to the 200 MPH rating (if it even does then) is by using that really narrowed down tip, which has virtualy no CFM because it is so small.

You will flat out love the 570. The chest strap is one of the best features on it IMO. It makes it so nice for bending down to pick up stuff. It keeps the blower locked in place, and because it helps distribute the weight across your chest as well as your shoulders and back, hips etc., it actually makes it feel lighter than my BR600, especially if I use them for more than 15 minutes.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Most likely! The stupid thing is, is that I can't attach that little narrow piece onto the blower tube, because the narrow end of the blower tube goes into the motor, leaving both the attachment and the tube with the wide ends together. I never found an adapter to connect them together.
Husqvarna 435
Super crappy yard
Old 11-27-2012, 03:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Well now that you've got a backpack blower to get the tight areas you know that you're going to need a ground blower as well, right? Something like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fOE3yHbyA8

or this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70U7tUQIM3M

And don't let the wife get in your way!!!!
Old 11-27-2012, 03:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave88LX View Post
Most likely! The stupid thing is, is that I can't attach that little narrow piece onto the blower tube, because the narrow end of the blower tube goes into the motor, leaving both the attachment and the tube with the wide ends together. I never found an adapter to connect them together.
Mine came with a double tapered adapter that is about 5" long that allows you to attach that narrow nozzle to the main tube(s). Sears should be able to order you one with no problem, or maybe you can even do it at their online store.