Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-29-2012, 11:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Dude! Oh. My. God. This thing is friggen' AWESOME! I don't know how I got away without one for so long. I'm never raking again! Had my front yard done in about an hour. Blew it all into a huge pile. I guess I'll blow it all through the gate and try to get it across my driveway and into the woods. Still need to work on my technique and all that to be more efficient. But, damn. I'm in love. Thanks for talking me into it!!!

Husqvarna 435
Super crappy yard
Old 11-29-2012, 11:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I told you that you'd like it.

It's all you'll ever need. Just set the throttle lock at the 3/4 position and use the trigger to run it up to top end for a booster blast when/where needed.

It'll get even more impressive once it gets good and broken in.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:47 PM
LawnSite Member

I've tried to keep it at 3/4 throttle and under...I thought I recalled reading not to run it full tilt until a few tanks of gas have gone through it. Really dig the throttle lock too. Also glad I have some earmuffs! They were my shooting muffs, but, work fine for this too.
Husqvarna 435
Super crappy yard
Old 11-29-2012, 11:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave88LX View Post
I've tried to keep it at 3/4 throttle and under...I thought I recalled reading not to run it full tilt until a few tanks of gas have gone through it. Really dig the throttle lock too. Also glad I have some earmuffs! They were my shooting muffs, but, work fine for this too.
That's all the other muffs really are. Lets face it- shooting mufs have to protect your ears a lot better than muffs made solely for mowing.

It won't hurt anything to run at WOT right now. Take a look at the link to Stihl's site I posted above somewhere here.(It might have been in another thread. I can't recall, so here it is)
http://www.stihlusa.com/faq/general/

This is the direct wording of the FAQ I am refering to-

Q-My instruction manual says not to run the product at full throttle for the first 2 to 3 tanks of fuel mix. Why is this?

A-This can cause internal engine damage. STIHL recommends that you do not run your engine at wide open throttle without a load. A blower is under a load at all times, a trimmer is under a load as long as the trimmer head is in place and the line is to the correct length, while a chain saw is under a load when the bar and chain are in a cut.

-

Even so, no harm being careful. Just make sure you keep running the rpm's up and down while it is breaking in, and not just running at one constant speed. That is a definite no-no during break-in.

I use mine to blow piles that are approximately 3 times the size of that one in your picture several times each fall off just my back yard alone. I love this blower.

Last edited by Ridin' Green; 11-29-2012 at 11:58 PM.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:00 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the link. Yeah, just rather be cautious I guess. Sounds like a flat-tappet cam break-in. Sitting there for 20-30 minutes varying the RPM to break in the cam/lifters...all the while worrying if I'm screwing up my crosshatch by not having a load to force the rings out into the crosshatch.

What's the best method to move a huge pile like this?

I just saw on Amazon they have hearing protection with MP3 hookup. Definitely going to get a pair of those.
Husqvarna 435
Super crappy yard
Old 11-30-2012, 12:08 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

It may sound counter intuitive, but I move the largest piles by standing near the pile's edge closest to me, then blowing the back part of the pile farther back, then steadily working the air stream back towards me. I also sometimes make a "cut" in the middle of the pile all the way to the ground to get the leaves moving towards where I want them to go, then I use the "walls" of that cut to guide more and more leaves back through the cut and on out to where I'm heading them (I hope that makes sense to you) .That way you aren't trying to move everything all at once, and the air stream can work the pile more efficiently. Also, it is helpful sometimes to kinda move the nozzle in a circular motion while blowing against the pile, which helps whip the leaves up and loosen them from each other so that they are more fluffy (for lack of a better term) and move more easily.

You can also just keep working the top of the pile back and off the top and behind the pile then blow the bottom of the pile up onto the leaves you just blew off the top. It's sorta like rolling the pile.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:44 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Glad you like it. Did you "play" with moving larger debris with it? It's kind of fun to watch a brick tumbling at 200 mph, lol.

I don't tend to move things as piles so much as a front. It depends on the situation though. I will often just stand in one spot and swing a slow arc with my arm to skim the loose leaves off the top and blow them forward. Some people wave the wand so damn much that they never give the air a chance to work (that works well for beds when you don't wanna blast the mulch out). I will move the pile by shaving off the top and front and move it ahead a bit and then scour the turf up to it...basically remove most of the loose leaves on top to reveal the stuck stuff. Sweep and scour, sweep and scour...that's when there's a substantial amount of leaves. One thing I try to do is to never have my blower running and not actually using it...so if I just blew my pile forward and I walking backward to get to my "scour line" I'm blowing the whole time I'm stepping back. Think of those CFMs and precious and not to be wasted.

I think what 'Ridin was talking about was moving leaves through a slot, almost like making a funnel for them...kind of like a stream with the piles on the side being the banks. You can make them shoot pretty far that way, especially if you've got the wind working with you.

And as far as moving leave into the wind...you can...just throttle down a bit and think of it like sailing...you kind of tack them forward....don't try to blow them directly into the wind.

Another tip is when you're trying to get things away from an object like the front of the garage door is to aim the air stream at the door above the ground and it will bounce off and carry the leaves with it...a little like playing pool. You can use the venturi effect a little bit too to pull leaves out of areas, although it will only work for leaves in very close proximity to the air stream.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:57 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

P.S. - A word of caution. Be careful if you're working in beds near the house. You can melt vinyl siding and blister paint if you have the exhaust blowing against the wall....yes I know that from experience...what's that smell?
Old 11-30-2012, 02:32 PM
LawnSite Member

All makes sense! I was doing a bit of all of that yesterday (whether on accident or on purpose). I haven't discovered yet if it's easier/efficient to blow things to a central spot like a seashell shape, or if I should try to blow everything across a straight line to the other end of the yard, then consolidate that big row. I need to get that pile through my 4' gate and across the driveway into the woods next.
Husqvarna 435
Super crappy yard
Old 11-30-2012, 03:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave88LX View Post
All makes sense! I was doing a bit of all of that yesterday (whether on accident or on purpose). I haven't discovered yet if it's easier/efficient to blow things to a central spot like a seashell shape, or if I should try to blow everything across a straight line to the other end of the yard, then consolidate that big row. I need to get that pile through my 4' gate and across the driveway into the woods next.
What you're trying to do is what I almost always do (as long as the wind isn't fighting me)- get them to the far end and then out through a gate 9though mine is about 66" wide). I usually move them down the length of the yard in a windrow the width of the yard. That serves to make it easier to move an enormous amount while doing so at a fast pace as opposed to trying to move a deep, large pile. The at the back end of the property I (we) head them into a large pile where I use the "cut" method to make the channel through the center of the pile. That does just what Darryl said- it makes the airstream flowing through it move even faster (sort of a jet effect), and it keeps them from blowing back in an outward direction which will cause you to have to keep rounding them all back up. I just keep shaving each side of the tunnel/cut until it is maybe 5-8" wide, then blow both walls back into the center to make one long, large pile and make a cut again. I make that long large pile running perpendicular to the gate BTW. No sense in having it running well beyond either side of the gate where you can't really do anything with the leaves out on either side of the gate.