Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-17-2012, 06:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Husky 223 muffler leaking oily residue

The CAT muffler on my Husky 223 trimmer is drooling an oily spooge. I don't know the history of this trimmer as I just bought it off craigslist. The owner said he couldn't get it running. I found cracked fuel lines, so I replaced the fuel lines and got it running, but there is a pretty good amount of oily residue inside the plastic shrouds and it is leaking out of the CAT muffler.
I'm trying to de-carbonize the motor by putting a little Seafoam in the mix and spraying Valve-tect decarbonizer spray down the carb throat and letting that sit, as per instructions.
Right now I can't get off the muffler because I think the hex screws are metric (4mm?) and some knucklehead put them on so tight it rounded off the closest hex key I had when I tried to remove them.
If I can get the muff off is there a way to get rid of the CAT?
Any suggestions are appreciated.
Old 11-17-2012, 07:10 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Pull the anti spark screen out of the muffler. I don't recall if it has a retaining screw or is just a friction fit.
Old 11-17-2012, 07:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutch1 View Post
Pull the anti spark screen out of the muffler. I don't recall if it has a retaining screw or is just a friction fit.
The retaining screw for the spark screen is the first one I tried to pull and it rounded off my hex key!!! I think I need some good metric ones or maybe even a set if vice grips.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:27 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

just run it the way it is and see if it stops ozing. one of mine did this and was just running too rich. adjusted carb -fine now
Old 11-18-2012, 09:15 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks Dan and Dutch. I think I'll try the de-carbonizing and doing what Dan said, especially since those hex bolts are on so tight. Since I know nothing of the machine's history, it could be they did something like running 32:1 dino oil. Maybe some Amsoil saber @ 50:1 and a little seafoam will clean things right up.

Is it fairly easy to get rid of the CAT, by modifying th4 muffler or getting a replacement?
Old 11-20-2012, 12:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Got an update and I think I solved my problem. In addition to the oily residue, my trimmer would not restart after it got hot. It got me thinking the coil might be quitting when it got hot, so I pulled a coil off another 223 and put in on. Now it restarts after getting hot and after a few minutes of run time it is no longer putting out that oily residue any more.