Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-11-2013, 12:34 PM
LawnSite Member

36 inch metro or turf tracer?

Hey guys i cannot decide on which one to get the turf tracer is double the price and all i get is floating deck and hydro since it is a 36 inch would the floating deck make a big difference cause i can afford a metro now but not a TT any suggestions
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-11-2013, 12:41 PM
LawnSite Member

It really is going to be a personal preference. A floating deck tends to be a "safer" bet against scalping, but again as you stated, the 36" on a fixed deck would probably be pretty safe. I've never had a problem with any of my fixed deck mowers I've had. I run a 32" Metro for my real small properties and I love it, but I also have a 48" TT on my trailer that gets used just as often. One thing that hydro gives you that belt drive does not is the ability to go from forward to reverse by pulling back on the handles. Hydro will also pull a sulky much better and longer. A lot of the belt drive transmissions will pull a sulky, but over time it can be hard on them, especially if they're toting a 210 lb guy like me up and down hills. I think either way you go you will be happy. Keep in mind too, eXmark is offering 0% financing right now, so that is an option for you.
2013 Kubota L3200
2013 eXmark 60" Lazer Z X-series
2013 eXmark 60" Lazer Z E-series
2013 eXmark Commercial 30"
2009 eXmark Turf Tracer 48"
Echo/Stihl peripherals
Old 03-11-2013, 01:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Buy what u can afford I have a belt drive 36 and yeah at times I wish it was hydro but its all I could afford at the time and I love the thing
echo trimmers
red max back pack blower
sthil chain saws

My Page:
[url]http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=258151[/]

...love what you do, do what you love, life is good...
Old 03-11-2013, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I love my turf tracer and could never go back to belt drive. You should be able to find a good deal on a used one.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I just picked up my 2013 Exmark Viking 48" today. Its the middle of the road. Its a hydro drive fixed deck and not much more than the Metro. I got a sulky on it and have no worries about it pulling me up and down the hills.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:03 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a metro 36" and a metro 48" both fixed deck and belt drive i love them im not a fan of the floating deck. I dont run a sulky so that doesnt matter to me the hydro would be nice sometimes but the belt drive is fine for me. just like anything else you learn the limitations of the machine and use it to the best of its ability and you will be fine.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:18 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

had both, I loved the Metro then decided to try the TT. Love that now. I ran a Velke on my Metro for 10 years. You gota get what you can afford now. If it cuts..it makes you $
Old 03-12-2013, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffTurfLawnCare View Post
I just picked up my 2013 Exmark Viking 48" today. Its the middle of the road. Its a hydro drive fixed deck and not much more than the Metro. I got a sulky on it and have no worries about it pulling me up and down the hills.
What did u end up paying for it?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-27-2013, 11:25 AM
Sponsor

Hello,

As someone that has personally been in the industry as a mow foreman for 3yrs and as someone that has been selling the equipment for the past 3yrs now there are a few questions that you should ask yourself before you pull the trigger on the purchase. First is how often is this unit going to be used? Do you only have a couple of accounts that you are going to use it for or is this going to be an item that is going to be coming off the trailer often? If this is going to be something that is only going to be used once or twice a week then you should save the money and take a look at the Metro. Yet if your going to use this at a majority of your accounts wait and go with the Turf Tracer. I have ran both units for various companies that I have worked for in the past and I say once you go hydro you do not want to go back to a belt drive. It is just very convient especially if you are in tight areas such as along a fence line. Also could you get by with using a walk mower in these areas? Exmark also have 21, 26, and a new 30" that can be seen here http://www.muttonpower.com/store/p-1...ercial-30.aspx. This would be a great item to use if your not planning on using it often and would also save you some money as well. Yet IMO I am and always will be a fan of the TT series of mowers from Exmark. Have a great day and I hope that my input has helped you some.