Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-29-2003, 08:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Geoff,you say MY taxes like your gonna single handedly pay this guy,YOUR taxes are being pissed away on war and welfare,i'm not to concerned about paying his unemployment!
Old 01-29-2003, 09:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The bottom line is, if your business can't feed you. It is your problem, not the goverment. I can't understand why people think it is ok to cheat the system because that is exactly what you are trying to do.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your right friend I am going to give you a little flack.I'm defintely not lazy and I don't just sit around.The last 7 yrs. I have found work in the off season.There is some truth to your statement that one has to budget.As a buisness owner I have always payed my taxes. My employees would have no problem collecting unemployment.Because I am a sole prop I can't seem to do it though.What is wrong with that picture?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
You are the owner, they work for you. When you lay them off, you still care for them, thats why you pay all this unimployment stuff. Now if you paid unimployment insurance on yourself, at the rate you pay yourself a week. It might fly but i doubt it.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I specialize in residental properties.This year we haven't had enough snow to shake a stick at. I guess my buisness just doesn't make enough to cover a 4 1/2 month downtime.

So get a job doing something. Change your business focus, I would say your business is based too much on seasonal income. You need to do something to change that, what I don't know.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What do the employees do that work for chemlawn?I know that they layed off over 30 employees in Flint about 1 1/2 ago.They will be called back to work in the spring. Are they required to look for employment even though they will be going back to work?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If they are collecting, they have to be looking for a job, and file paperwork, and forms that prove this. It isn't just show up, and say yea I have no job right now but will in the spring. They need to be filling out applications for jobs anywhere, and when they fill out the application a form for the unemployment office must be filled out as well. If they want to keep getting money. The fact is that in Maine, if someone works some place even for a week, and paycheck is issued by a payroll service, or a big company, the unemployment office knows about it some how. Now they could probably get a check from xyz small business, that did their own payroll, and still collect that week. However the goverment would find out over time and they would have to pay the money back.

So how do I know all this? Well I ran up till about a year ago, I ran utility construction co, that also did a lot of snow removal. Last spring I sold the biz, and took a desk job for a local goverment in the public works department. 100% less stress, and decent pay, I couldn't be happier.

Geoff
Old 01-29-2003, 10:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

12 month contracts, works great, checks come in all 12 months.
Old 01-30-2003, 12:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

U.E.

Here's a suggestion. Take the same amount of money you would have paid into U.E throughout the year for that employee who left and put it in a savings account religiously and then you'll have your own unemployment compensation. Problem solved.
Old 01-30-2003, 01:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Perpetuate social dependance on our ever increasing welfare state...........
There are two basic types of individuals: 1. That will do anything and everything necessary not to be caught dead in a welfare line. 2. Those that look to the government to solve their problems.

Sorry to sound so harsh, but I am just a little passionate about this as well as tired of paying so many freaking taxes.

Last edited by Nebraska; 01-30-2003 at 01:45 PM.
Old 01-31-2003, 08:15 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Unemployment and welfare are 2 very different subjects. Your taxes don't pay for Unemployment benefits. As an owner, collecting Unemployment is just paying yourself out of your own pocket, just budget better and save it in your own account.
Old 01-31-2003, 11:23 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Michael..
Your logic is skewed.....So were do you think the money for welfare, wic, food stamps, social security diablity, etc come from? It's all a tax regardless if they call it "insurance" like they do in Nebraska and it's all WELFARE!

WAKE UP! IT'S A TAX!!!

tax [tæks]
n.
1. a compulsory financial contribution imposed by a government to raise revenue, levied on the income or property of persons or organizations, on the production costs or sales prices of goods and services. etc.
2. a heavy demand on something; strain: a tax on our resources.
vb. (tr.)
3. to levy a tax on (persons, companies, etc., or their incomes, etc.).
4. to make heavy demands on; strain: to tax one's intellect.
5. to accuse, charge, or blame: he was taxed with the crime.
6. to determine (the amount legally chargeable or allowable to a party to a legal action), as by examining the solicitor's bill of costs: to tax costs.
[from Old French taxer, from Latin taxare to appraise. from tangere to touch]
Old 01-31-2003, 12:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

really where the money comes from doesn't matter.

still only for those that NEED it.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 01-31-2003, 04:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Nebraska my logics fine. Unemployment and welfare are two different matters. Only employers pay FUTA and SUTA, yes a tax, not all tax payers contribute like welfare. Unemployment isn't for life either, unlike some welfare collectors.
Old 01-31-2003, 05:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I guarantee you welfare recepient's don't contribute to their welfare either....yet
It's all welfare....It just happens that unemployment is welfare for the unemployed..

So I guess a tax that is in a fancy package with fancy alternative name is alright?

And yes my employees contribute....without that tax there would be more money in their pockets. In my eyes...my foreman that get's $11 per hour is actually costing me $12.19 per hour with all the taxes and worker's compensation included.