Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-27-2003, 08:33 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Winter Duramax Diesel Cover

Has anyone installed the grill cover for your duramax engine? I got the top one on and started on the bottom one, but what a pain in the azz. I wound up not even putting the bottom one on.

If you choked a Smurf, what color would it turn?

I'd give my right hand , if I could be ambidextrous!
Old 01-27-2003, 11:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

winter front/D-MAX

I have never bothered with the bottom one. I have a GMC and the grill cover is fairly easy to put on. The grill designs on the Chev and new GMC's are different than mine (2001). I don't know how easy those are to put on. The key I have found to put them on is make sure the winter front is warm and pliable makes it much easier then if your doing when it is minus 30 outside.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 01-28-2003, 03:46 AM

With a different brand you probably would not need a rad cover. At least I never have needed one yet.

Old 01-28-2003, 07:04 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

i was just wondering why you are even bothering to put it on? its not even cold enough really to need it. ive only seen one other duramax with it on in my area. I plugged in my truck a few nights in a row this past week when it was zero, and it set my service engine light off. i brought it to the dealer and he said the block heater had the fuel too hot. the dealer said unless its -30 or more below zero for 4 or 5 days then you only need to plug it in then. there is no need for you to use the cover or to plug your truck in, especially in delaware
Old 01-28-2003, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mdb landscaping
the dealer said unless its -30 or more below zero for 4 or 5 days then you only need to plug it in then.
I have to disagree with this ,Minus 30 or below? Go to one of the truck forums (i'll email sites if you want them) and ask them there. If it gets down in the 20's I plug it in then.

If you choked a Smurf, what color would it turn?

I'd give my right hand , if I could be ambidextrous!
Old 01-29-2003, 07:52 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

bob. you can disagree, but thats the truth. these diesels are made to take the cold, and the dealer says there is no reason to plug em in till it gets way below zero. i agree with you that it makes it easier to start and all when its below 20s, but if you plug it in a few nights in row, you may set off an SES code because you are warming the fuel too hot. the dealer even said that a lot of duramaxes dont even come with block heaters now cause it just isnt cold enough. he says he has buddies who go way up into canada snowmobiling, and cant plug there trucks in, and they run just fine.