Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-20-2012, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Member

I paid cash for everything in the first three years of business, but mainly because I didn't have any credit history. I will still buy used trucks if I can get a good deal, but now I will only buy new mowing equipment and finance it. I financed a few mowers in the summer for 0%, 0 down, 48months and the first payment doesnt start until april. On top of that, I can depreciate the full value in the first year of purchase on my taxes without paying a cent on the mowers until next year. I have enough capital saved up to pay off my loans today, but it would be stupid to pay cash when I can borrow that money for free. Even if I have to pay interest on a business loan, I can write off the cost of interest on my taxes. I just don't see why people brag about not having liability/debt and paying cash for everything. Having loans is a good thing if your responsible about it and if you have the cashflow (not just the capital) to pay for it.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakescape View Post
I paid cash for everything in the first three years of business, but mainly because I didn't have any credit history. I will still buy used trucks if I can get a good deal, but now I will only buy new mowing equipment and finance it. I financed a few mowers in the summer for 0%, 0 down, 48months and the first payment doesnt start until april. On top of that, I can depreciate the full value in the first year of purchase on my taxes without paying a cent on the mowers until next year. I have enough capital saved up to pay off my loans today, but it would be stupid to pay cash when I can borrow that money for free. Even if I have to pay interest on a business loan, I can write off the cost of interest on my taxes. I just don't see why people brag about not having liability/debt and paying cash for everything. Having loans is a good thing if your responsible about it and if you have the cashflow (not just the capital) to pay for it.
most people associate debt with being bad...there is good debt and bad debt i agree with you 100 percent on what you are saying
Old 11-21-2012, 02:01 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandview (2006) View Post
Guys talk about how they paid cash to start their business. So technically you were in debt where you started. So how long did it take to pay yourself back you lent your company money?
If the repo man can't take it back you are not in debt.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

bought all my equipment for a grand total of 300 dollars. Stihl weed eater john deer push mower and poulan pro hand blower. All used of course. HAd the truck since i turned 14. Paid myself back within the first two months and then bought a echo backpack. Used that the john deere and trimmer rest of the year. The next year bought a wb mower and a truck that was it. This year bought bigger backpack and echo pas system. Still have every piece i started with as a back up in good running condition new carb on the trimmer and new wheels and bagger for the old john deere push mower. I was in debt to my business for one month and haven't been since. I will not buy something if i do not have the money saved up for it unless it is an absolute emergency. If not it encourages me to work harder to buy the nicer equipment trucks etc.
Old 11-21-2012, 04:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyles landscape View Post
most people associate debt with being bad...there is good debt and bad debt i agree with you 100 percent on what you are saying
I figure "good debt" is someone other than me who owes money, especially my competaors.

Bad debt would be money that I owe, fortunately I dont have any bad debt.
Old 11-21-2012, 05:20 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vld View Post
If the repo man can't take it back you are not in debt.
The repo man might not take it, but when you can't afford the overhead of operating your venture, chances are someone other than the owner ends up with the equipment.
Old 11-21-2012, 05:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I literally did start with hand tools only, scissors and broom included.

Our Facebook Page

A goal properly set is halfway reached - - Zig Ziglar
Old 11-21-2012, 06:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It's not debt, it's called assests. As long as you still own it, it still has value, minus depreciation of course, which is tax deductible.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i also started with a mower my dad gave me, 52" scag hydro walkbehind with probably 3000hrs on it, maybe more. it started right up for the 2 years i used it, until i turned 16 and went out financed a new scag which i paid for on my own in 4 years. and, worked my way up to being able to buy my cheetah and bagger system cash in june, I regret it, because things were tight after that for a month, but more because we had a drought, and I'm not established yet and didn't have many lawns.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
I figure "good debt" is someone other than me who owes money, especially my competaors.

Bad debt would be money that I owe, fortunately I dont have any bad debt.
i think of bad debt as something thatss a waste or un needed and wont cover itself in cost

good debt an investment in something like going to a bigger mower from a 21 it will save u and employees time look better in some cases and you can then have more free time to sell jobs or get more.....maybe you cant pay 100 percent for it now but if your steady mowing you will be fine