Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-23-2012, 06:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I agree that you should start off with used equipment, but not junk. You shouldn't need a mechanic to to do the work for you. If you can't change your own oil, filters, spark plugs, and at least remove your blades than you are in the wrong business. (I've got nothing against people having suppliers sharpen their blades for them, I do my own).

-Michael

2006 GMC Sierra 2500hd crew cab
BOSS 8'2" Power V
Hustler X-one 60"
Toro Proline 36" wb w/t-bar controls
Toro 22"
Shindaiwa T254, Echo trimmers, chainsaws, pole hedge trimmer, pole saw, hedge trimmer
Shindaiwa 633 and Echo 760LN
Old 11-23-2012, 07:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Most companies reach a point where they can't grow without a line of credit. If you think you can save up cash on hand you will reach that plateau. Part of the problem in todays economy. Without banks extending credit to small business they are doomed to stagnate. This is why new guys will do well to take some actual business classes. You don't want to do this part OJT.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-23-2012, 07:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ill never figure why everyone thinks you have to borrow money to have new and realiable equiptment.

Its simple math if it takes 25k to add a nother crew, a business should eaisly be able to hold 12500$ and add a new crew every 2 years.
If a mower cost 10k new and you use it 2 years its still worth 5k, so you get new one thats only 2500$ per year.

Truthfully to build "wealth" you need to get rid of debt, not take on more.
Old 11-23-2012, 07:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I gotta disagree with that to a point. Idle cash on hand is not going to do me much good. Money is cheap for a business that deserves it. Savvy investments can reap returns several times what it costs to borrow it. Again these are not financial maneuvers for the uneducated, new or hand to mouth business.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-23-2012, 07:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
I gotta disagree with that to a point. Idle cash on hand is not going to do me much good. Money is cheap for a business that deserves it. Savvy investments can reap returns several times what it costs to borrow it. Again these are not financial maneuvers for the uneducated, new or hand to mouth business.
Posted via Mobile Device
Absolutely agree!!!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-23-2012, 07:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
Ive never been able to "outsmart" the banking and finincial system, its full of risk and alot of "CROOKS".

Occaisonally Ill pick up some realestate that I need to borrow to secure the deal, but nothing that wont be reaid within a year, and I really dont like doing that.
Old 11-23-2012, 07:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
What are you investing in? I have had trouble finding a good investment lately. Real estate, not sure i want to deal w tenants, banks interest is a joke, buying another business in this economy seems risky.

I dont think a stereotype of plateauing is true. I know several large businesses w lines of credit extended that can barely make payroll.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-23-2012, 07:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Several different business arms all related to real estate. It really is a good time. You have to know people in few fields to get the best deals. Some of the old standby stocks. Cat and BOA have been good when you know when to jump in and out. Trading software has helped immensley. I don't like brokers.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Patriot Services; 11-23-2012 at 07:57 PM.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

In my opinion "day trading" is nuts, at least in Las Vegas you will have a little fun pissing money away.

Realestate "groups, or exchanges" are a scam and you will loose all your money and be sued for more money later on.

Its extremely risky do do some of these deals on credit.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
In my opinion "day trading" is nuts, at least in Las Vegas you will have a little fun pissing money away.

Realestate "groups, or exchanges" are a scam and you will loose all your money and be sued for more money later on.

Its extremely risky do do some of these deals on credit.
I don't do any of those three. Buying real estate these days means knowing who in the banking division has the authority to sell you a distressed property. Trading programs mean I don't have to watch the damn ticker all the time. I never said I borrow money to invest in the market. This is my life savings I'm working with.
Posted via Mobile Device