Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-20-2012, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Blow or suck those leaves ?

Normally, a backpack blower works great to tease the leaves out of landscape beds.

But sometimes, the shrubs are huge and too close together. Or it's just an overgrown area that serves as a border between two properties. They still want it cleaned out, but the blower is working uphill. You finally blow them out and they get stuck in the next overgrown shrub. Or, they accumulate in a pile that took way too long too build, and I still have to rake them onto a tarp.

It occurs to me that sometimes, a leaf loader might suck them out faster than I can blow them out.

The loader would have to be powerful and portable. In it's simplest form it could be moved around with a ball cart. Ideally, it would be mounted to something motorized,

Long flexible hoses for intake and discharge. If you build a receiver that is designed like the top of a three bagger, then the discharge hose could plug in to it and you could set it on a tarp. The leaves would get sucked out and deposited all chopped up onto a tarp to be hauled to the curb. Pick up the receiver and set it on the next tarp. In my town, we leave them at the curb, so i really have no use for a truck loader.

Sucking out of pachysandra beds would be great too. I hate blowing leaves out of those.

Finally, the Brown/Hurricane thread made me realize that a loader could be used as a powerful blower if you set the discharge hose end on or near the ground. If your motorized loader cart is nimble enough, it might function sort of like the Hurricane/Brown machines.

I think I would try to keep it narrow enough to pass thru gates. If a 36 inch Metro can pull a sulky with a 200 lb guy, could it support a 300 lb loader ? You could do it for $3 - 5000. Cheaper and more powerful than the Brown and Hurricane units by half. It wouldn't move as fast, or be as nimble, but I don't have giant pastures to blow clean like they do in the Brown videos.
Old 11-22-2012, 07:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Buy yourself a Redmax 8500 backpack and you won't have a problem blowing out beds.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have the Husky version and I take off the end tube and put on another intermediate tube for beds. That way you can blast full throttle without blowing the mulch all over the place.