Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-21-2012, 08:33 AM
LawnSite Member

Hustler V Kubota V JD 925a

Hi All,

I have been chasing my tail delaying buying a zero turn - but the rains have come and the grass is growing.

Would like some advice. I have 10 acres of horse paddocks (10 x 1 acre paddocks) to mow. Reasonable even ground, and fair swag of shrubs, trees and fences to manoever around.

First Question - 54" deck or 60" deck - is there really much difference in getting into tight places? Price wise its around $2500 to jump up a deck size - is it money well spent?

Im my area there are really only three choices becuase of dealer access:
1) Kubota ZG227 (54") or the ZG327 (60")
2) John Deere 925a
3) Hustler FASTRAK SUPER DUTY /54/60

Price wise all very similar.

I do like the Kubota because of the drive shaft rather than belts. Can anyone give me some recommendations on which is the better machine?

thanks
Old 11-21-2012, 09:53 AM
LawnSite Member

I would recommend the Z925a. It is the only one on your list with integrated pumps and motors which eliminates a lot of leak points that can be found in the other two machine's hydraulic drive systems. It will also cut much better and the deck will stay cleaner than the other two. You get a better warranty as well. Let me know if you have any questions we have around 1600 hours on our Z950a.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:08 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Either the JD or the ZG327, the fastrak won't be as well built. The Deere or kubota will last you a long time, both machines will have their good points and bad, just look at them, demo them and pick the one you like best. And go with a 60" deck.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-21-2012, 02:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

kubota will outlast all of them, speaking of that, we have one more left to sell. 60in diesel in interested. save a ton of dough
Old 11-21-2012, 05:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassman177 View Post
kubota will outlast all of them, speaking of that, we have one more left to sell. 60in diesel in interested. save a ton of dough
I would say by him using the terminology "horse paddocks," it may very well put him to far from Kansas to make buying a mower from you feasible...It could very well mean he has a wide body of water to cross before arriving in this country.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Hi guys - yes Kansas is a long way from Down under!

I am tending towards to 60", the kubota 54" i Test drove in the paddock, seemed a little bit of a rough ride, would I be correct in assuming a 60" which is a wider frame may be just that little bit more stable as it has a wider wheel track?

Is belt driven a big negative compared to a shaft drive on the Kubota?
Old 11-21-2012, 07:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebu View Post
Hi guys - yes Kansas is a long way from Down under!

I am tending towards to 60", the kubota 54" i Test drove in the paddock, seemed a little bit of a rough ride, would I be correct in assuming a 60" which is a wider frame may be just that little bit more stable as it has a wider wheel track?

Is belt driven a big negative compared to a shaft drive on the Kubota?
Not really, and when or if you need to repair either one, the belt is way cheaper to repair/replace. The 7 Iron on the Deere will leave a much nicer cut behind in any condition. I like the Kubota's, but I like the Deere better. They both will ride rough unless you get a suspension seat or some other type of suspension like the new flex forks that are coming out on the Deere.

BTW- many people here in MI call them "horse paddocks", so it isn't just a down under thing.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Member

I had a zg227 for about 90 days. Worst purchase I had ever made. Out of the ones you listed I would choose the JD or the Kubota ZG327.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Hi Trooper, Thanks for the post - what didn't you like about the zg227? From my understanding the zg327 is basically the same mover just with a 60" deck and a little wider wheel base - same engine etc.
Old 11-22-2012, 04:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
Not really, and when or if you need to repair either one, the belt is way cheaper to repair/replace. The 7 Iron on the Deere will leave a much nicer cut behind in any condition. I like the Kubota's, but I like the Deere better. They both will ride rough unless you get a suspension seat or some other type of suspension like the new flex forks that are coming out on the Deere.

BTW- many people here in MI call them "horse paddocks", so it isn't just a down under thing.
I find that very interesting, most people in this country call them "horse pastures," but the name "Zebu," is what made me believe he was an Aussie, that is a South African breed of cattle the Australian's raise in large numbers.