Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-20-2012, 12:10 AM
LawnSite Member

Used BR600, what would you pay?

I have a BR600 that I bought new two years ago. I love it and only use it around mine and my moms properties. I was at the pawn shop today and they had a decent used one for $175. I know these are not cheap new, and I love mine, I was thinking of picking it up if I can get them down near $100 as a second unit for my brother to help me with when doing leaves in the fall. It should save us a bunch of time if both of us can blow leaves at the same time. I will give it a once over first, anything specific to look for? Its not in great condition, but it's not horrible either. I have seen a lot worse when I worked for the landscape company. These don't pop up for sale that often and there is no way I'm paying full price for a second unit, it just wont get used that much. Any advice? Not sure what they have in it, but I think it would be a good deal around $100 or so.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:22 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit141 View Post
I have a BR600 that I bought new two years ago. I love it and only use it around mine and my moms properties. I was at the pawn shop today and they had a decent used one for $175. I know these are not cheap new, and I love mine, I was thinking of picking it up if I can get them down near $100 as a second unit for my brother to help me with when doing leaves in the fall. It should save us a bunch of time if both of us can blow leaves at the same time. I will give it a once over first, anything specific to look for? Its not in great condition, but it's not horrible either. I have seen a lot worse when I worked for the landscape company. These don't pop up for sale that often and there is no way I'm paying full price for a second unit, it just wont get used that much. Any advice? Not sure what they have in it, but I think it would be a good deal around $100 or so.
go search EBAY and see what a good deal $175 is
Old 11-20-2012, 12:25 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by corey4671 View Post
go search EBAY and see what a good deal $175 is
I second that, my pawn shop would have it at $375

South Eastern Connecticut Pressure Washing

South Eastern Connecticut Spring and Fall Clean Up

52" Brutus/52" Super Surfer/44" Pro Line/60" ZMaster
EB630/EB802/EBZ7150/EBZ8000/BR400/Billy Goat 8Hp
2 FS55/FS90/FC95/2 KM90/L322/L326/TR2350S
HC150/HC155/CHTZ2460
00/04 silverado 8ft Fisher/F250 01 9.5v Fisher/
CASE 1816/CASE 1845/
Old 11-20-2012, 07:33 AM
LawnSite Member

Ya I have a pawn shop that has one that is in rough shape for $399. I asked why so high and he told me that they cost $700 new. I laughed and walked out. I can get a new one for $549 after tax.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:03 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

You should do that Pawn Shop owner a favor and go down there and tell him all about Stihl blowers, especially the BR-600... Tell him it's not just top of the line but one of a kind and they sell new for $500+ and they're hard to find used in any condition for much under $400 much less what he's selling it for, tell him he would be doing himself and the community a disservice for selling the Rolex of BP blowers that cheap, he must have got lucky with whoever sold it to him because someone didn't know what they had (which does kind of make one wonder whether it's stolen - I'll leave it up to you if you want to tell him that) but if that was your blower you wouldn't take a dime under $300 for it and not even from the Pawn Shop would you take at least $200 because check the prices on ebay and see for yourself...
Then say thank you, wish them a nice day, smile and walk out.

On another note, your hesitation in buying that blower might have cost you.
I would have burned skin my hand would've went in my back pocket so fast for the money.

My only concern would be engine compression, and whether it's stolen.
Other than that it's worth $200 in ANY condition, just for the parts.
A new Br-600 gas tank is $80 and the shoulder straps will run you another $80.
Or maybe it's $50 but I'm saying, if the engine is any good just in parts that thing is worth $175+
So long it ain't stolen and the engine has good compression.

Last edited by herler; 11-20-2012 at 08:12 AM.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Well here she is. Even better condition than I thought, the unit itself is very clean once I gave it a once over with some cleaner. The only issue is a small crack on the top of the handle, not all the way through, and small chip on the bottom base, but that is it. Runs strong. Oh yeah, got it for $145 out the door. Not as good as I was hoping for, but I'm not disappointed either. It think this pawn shop really low-balls people when they pawn stuff and marks items up pretty high for sale. I have been able to get some pretty good deals when I drive a hard bargain with them.

Old 11-20-2012, 02:34 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Looks good man, GREAT FIND!!
Old 11-20-2012, 05:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

A cracked or broken handle usually indicates an early model. The handles were just about the first thing that Stihl redesigned on them because of that problem. Nice find!

Old 11-20-2012, 05:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

keep your eye on it cause it might be right back at the pawn shop when the next guy steals it. just sayin'.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groomer View Post
keep your eye on it cause it might be right back at the pawn shop when the next guy steals it. just sayin'.
Thats the thing though with any pawn shop, probably half the stuff is hot. There are good deals to be had, what should I do, never buy anything from a pawn shop? Someone is going to get a deal, might as well be me. I truly hope it wasn't stolen, my guess is someone pawned it for cash and didn't come back for it. I would think if they sold it to the pawn shop they would have received more for it than they did.