Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-21-2012, 07:23 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

pruning and shaping tips

I know most pruning is done free hand and by sight, but anyone got any good tips for pruing and shaping shrubs, hedges, ets?

We do mostly round, squared off hedges, and "christmas tree" looks.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:50 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

They should be wider at the bottom than the top so the lower branches catch some sun.

I like them off the ground a couple inches so I can get the debris out from underneath the bush.

They should not touch the house.

Keep them small unless you are trying to hide something.

Fertilize them only until they reach the desired size.

Trim them as infrequently as possible. Trimming stimulates growth.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:09 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

We have hedges mostly in the Cedar Family, with a few Yews both of which we do after the new growth is completed, but before it is hardened off... I like the long shaft of the moveable head on the echo trimmer to get the straight edge of the hedges as opposed to the shorter unit, becuz I can make a more uniform cut... the same with the top...
Small rounded or various shaped individuals I start with the smaller power blades and finish it off with a sharp hedge shears to clean it up if necessary... as long as you approach it slowly, it can easily be mastered if you have an 'eye for it'... like cutting hair...
All of the deciduous are done in Fall or Spring during dormancy and the reason there is,,, to cut the skeleton while visualizing the areas of growth that may occur once it fleshes out...
Old 11-21-2012, 10:24 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassmasterswilson View Post
I know most pruning is done free hand and by sight, but anyone got any good tips for pruing and shaping shrubs, hedges, ets?

We do mostly round, squared off hedges, and "christmas tree" looks.
Replace them with plants that require little or no pruning.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Depending on the landscape you are dealing with, but I am guessing these are landscapes designed by an architect. Try to visualize the intent. A large mass planting may not be intended to be pruned like a pan of freshly baked dinner rolls, but rather connected as one. I think you get where I am going with this. Think about the surface area created by many round ball shapes as to one large "plant or plants". You are creating more work by doing so. If you change the plan from doing so, you may need to explain to the owner as they may not understand your vision.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

With all due respect toward those with rambling brushy effect of natural plantings,,, find out what the client prefers and keep it looking perfect to him/her...
Old 11-21-2012, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

When doing flat shrubs on top, I try to find a line on the siding or brick course on a house and use that as my level guide.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Help limit the spread of disease by carrying a small spray bottle of isopropyl alcohol to clean your tool of choice inbetween plants especially if a know disease is present on any shrub or bush.

Kiril kind of hit in the right direction as well, having the right plant in the right place , with the right intention does a long way in helping you do your job.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 11-21-2012, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
Replace them with plants that require little or no pruning.
You'll make a lot more money as well, removal install and warranty....why make money pruning year after year?make it all at once.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-22-2012, 09:55 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend cut easymoney View Post
You'll make a lot more money as well, removal install and warranty....why make money pruning year after year?make it all at once.
My job isn't to make the lawnboy money, but to save the client money by recommending intelligent, sustainable, low input solutions. That means using plants that are not only regionally appropriate, but are also appropriate for the location they will be used in. Appropriate for the location means choosing a plant that will fill the intended area when the plant is mature without the need for continual maintenance or formal pruning.