Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-24-2012, 09:07 AM
LawnSite Member

Too many key words?

Hello,
Can you have too many key words on your website or is there a recommended amount of key words also should I list them by priority.

Thanks in advance.

Property Grounds Maintenance
Old 11-24-2012, 10:00 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i've used this online tool myself http://www.internetmarketingninjas.c...yword-density/ to make sure i'm using my keywords no more than 3 times per page.. because i heard if you use to many it could hurt your ranking because google see's it as keyword stuffing.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:19 AM
LawnSite Member

Would you say that using the same words vise versa or in different phrases is considered key word stuffing?

Old 11-24-2012, 10:26 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i'm not even sure how it works. i'm sure somebody who knows will post in here soon.. there is also alot of info in that link i posted. i'm still trying to learn about SEO myself, its frustrating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaec View Post
Would you say that using the same words vise versa or in different phrases is considered key word stuffing?
Old 11-24-2012, 10:33 AM
LawnSite Member

Too many key words?

I appreciate your reply I'm also new to the SEO arena. Everything I've done to the site is learned by trial and errors and lots of reading. Thanks

Old 11-24-2012, 10:49 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Here is my understanding:

The issue is keyword density. You could have the word "landscaper" 100 times on your home page if it was a huge page. But, if you have only 20 words on your page, and half are keywords, that could be a problem.

Google's guidance is to write naturally, for people, not spiders. For the most part, this seems to be best. However, definitely use your keywords anywhere it could be considered "natural". For example- "If you want a distinctive landscape that will improve with age then Ross NW Watergardens is the Portland area landscaper for you." That is from our website. The only real purpose of the sentence is to get two keywords, our location, and company name on the page again. But, it comes across as natural- so its ok.

Read everything on the subject at searchengineland.com. Look at other landscapers' sites- especially ones who rank highly. Especially in big markets these guys have paid professionals to do the copy for them- emulate what they do.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:03 AM
LawnSite Member

Too many key words?

Thanks headz77. I will definitely follow your advice and do more research.

Old 11-24-2012, 07:01 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by headz77 View Post
Google's guidance is to write naturally, for people, not spiders. For the most part, this seems to be best. However, definitely use your keywords anywhere it could be considered "natural".
A thousand times this. It would make everyone's lives much easier if they would just write naturally. Your keywords will work themselves in on their own and there are plenty of non-content ways to work them in as well.

Definitely try to group longer tail keywords together, as well as work in location-based (service area) content. One of the most overlooked things I see is someone say they're a "lawn care company in [major city]" and leave it at that. Work in those surrounding suburbs, towns, municipalities, whatever. Consumers' search has become more refined so that they can bring back more relevant results for their needs.
Old 11-24-2012, 08:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Tonygreek,
We are a small lawn care and landscaping company that currently only services the Savannah area exclusively. I think that I'm doing O.K. On certain key words, but my issue is redundancy due to the exclusive service location.

Old 11-24-2012, 09:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I rank pretty well as a landscaper in my city when someone searches for landscaper in my city.

Meaning I do not have to say landscaper / in city 3 time on a page for google to get the idea. Once is enough.

Including a schema.org format for your business address helps too. I do not want or need calls outside my service idea.

Write good content as others say naturally.