Old 03-16-2013, 07:56 PM
LawnSite Member

New mower -- need help w/buying decision

Got to get the mower next week.
Choices are narrowed to these --
48 Scag SWZ 48/velke2x --- 6369 out the door

48 V Ride --- 6610 out the door

48 Exmark TTS elec start/FS600 --- 7840 out the door

Its hilly where I live and this will be my mower for this season. I will be doing residential. One of them is 1.4 and another is 1.8 acres. The rest are 1/2 acre. I have a Honda 21" commercial to help with the steeper parts of the properties that I have.

I'm 190 pounds, 5 10, 50 years old and in pretty good shape.

I'd like to have good cutting mower for this year and build some accounts. I think the Exmark is overpriced, but I have seen some beautiful work from them.

I will use this mower and then keep it as a backup when I grow my business.

The V Ride is at this price because of the "buy one V Ride and get fleet pricing" that has been extended to the end of March.

I'm kinda worried that the dealer will not give the V Ride discount at the time of purchase and will expect me to jump through hoops and meet deadlines to get the 700+ fleet discount as a rebate check. I'm not going to do that.

Am I on the right track?

Which would be the best for me?

Scag dealer is huge and has a lot of mechanics. Service has been pretty good on other equipment I have had.
Exmark dealer is small, but they are good people.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Forgot to add that the Turf Tracer has the same velke at that price.
Old 03-16-2013, 10:21 PM
LawnSite Member

i love my vrides and my dealer just deducted it from the price didn't have to mail anything in. id personally go with the vride but demoing it would be best.
Old 03-16-2013, 11:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i'm just curious why are you going for a stander? do you mow alot of small lawns?

i got a sit down 54" ztr john deere z920a for $7900.

i just couldn't bring myself to buy a stander that costs nearly as much as a ztr. i think standers are way overpriced. for me to buy one they would have to cost under $5000.
Old 03-17-2013, 12:01 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvldesign View Post
i love my vrides and my dealer just deducted it from the price didn't have to mail anything in. id personally go with the vride but demoing it would be best.
Thats the answer I was hoping for. I want them to take it off right then - I have trust issues with dealers.
Old 03-17-2013, 12:06 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeze View Post
i'm just curious why are you going for a stander? do you mow alot of small lawns?

i got a sit down 54" ztr john deere z920a for $7900.

i just couldn't bring myself to buy a stander that costs nearly as much as a ztr. i think standers are way overpriced. for me to buy one they would have to cost under $5000.
I totally agree - mowers in general seem to overpriced to me.

That sounds like a good deal that you got.
Why a stander? I'm just starting and I want to get a walk behind or a stander - I guess because...um, I don't know why.
Old 03-17-2013, 12:16 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Your scag fleet should be 20% off msrp (or more). No rebate, don't know where you heard that. Just straight off the invoice.

If the dealer is bad do you have a good dealer around, any brand? A good dealer is as or more important than brand.

I own a 48" vride and they are great. But one thing to consider is weight. A regular w/b weighs less which reduces rutting and turf tear. But the w/b is slower. Fine line of what is the best for each app.

Your vride quote is a good price. The exmark tt is retail so you could get it down more. The swz I haven't priced so don't know.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-17-2013, 12:20 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootytalbot View Post
I totally agree - mowers in general seem to overpriced to me.

That sounds like a good deal that you got.
Why a stander? I'm just starting and I want to get a walk behind or a stander - I guess because...um, I don't know why.
Weight, ablity to turn in smaller areas (wheel base), and view around the mower are a couple reasons. In small to mid size yards with objects to go around a stander is more productive. This is coming from a guy that will pull out a 60" turf tiger to mow a 20x20 area.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-17-2013, 12:56 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djagusch View Post
Your scag fleet should be 20% off msrp (or more). No rebate, don't know where you heard that. Just straight off the invoice.

If the dealer is bad do you have a good dealer around, any brand? A good dealer is as or more important than brand.

I own a 48" vride and they are great. But one thing to consider is weight. A regular w/b weighs less which reduces rutting and turf tear. But the w/b is slower. Fine line of what is the best for each app.

Your vride quote is a good price. The exmark tt is retail so you could get it down more. The swz I haven't priced so don't know.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks for the help and info.

I was thinking 20% for the fleet, but I found a Scag quote online that mentioned 10% and that's what the dealer told me. Its a cash deal so if it is 20%, they might pocket the extra.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:44 AM
LawnSite Member

It should be 20%
Posted via Mobile Device