Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-25-2012, 08:15 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbljack View Post
How do yall go about cleaning out the beds and borders that are full of vines, and english ivy? I've been looking at backpack blowers lately, and that seems to be everyones answer for the most part. I had an old blower vac that I am currently using, but I hate it.

Do the back pack blowers clear the leaves out of viney beds and get them out into the yard? If so, i can mow them up from there, and deal with them i think.
yea, backpack blower is a great all around tool for landscaper. i just got a stihl br-600. use the circular motion as others prescribe. will get the leaves out of the ivy.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:15 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will P.C. View Post
The interesting thing in this thread is the guys making money doing leaf cleanups have a strict system in place revolving around what works best for them and their route. This goes to show you there is no 'perfect way' and is heavily dependent on numerous factors.
personally I find this true with any service performed.

there is no one way or perfect way with any of the services we offer. you do what's easiest, most affordable and makes the most money for you. not what joe says works the best or is the quickest.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboysLawnCareDelaware View Post
The only time I use a rake is when I have a clump of leaves in a small area, its just faster for me to pull them out of their than to sit there with the blower and watch them move little by little.

I can't remember details but if I recall properly another landscaper that I keep in contact with used an old blower in reverse. So it would suck up the leaves and then blow them into the truck and he only spent $300-$400 on it. You just have to make your own brackets and fit the proper size tubing to it on your own.

-Michael
Hi,
Just wondering if you know the steps involved in how to use my leaf blower in reverse to make it vac the leaves?
Old 11-25-2012, 08:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbss86 View Post
Hi,
Just wondering if you know the steps involved in how to use my leaf blower in reverse to make it vac the leaves?
One step....go to your nearest dealer and ask them for a shredder vac!
Old 11-25-2012, 09:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbss86 View Post
Hi,
Blower propellers & housings are not designed to ingest debris. I did this last year with a blower missing front guard at air intake. Raked leaves in the front & blew them in a bag I made from large mesh tarp. It sounded like the thing was gonna fall apart. Was not my blower so I quit doing it & If It was my blower, I don't think it would have lasted.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-25-2012, 11:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly's Landscaping View Post
I am pretty sure the giant vac 16 hp are a 10 inch hose. I own 2 20hp vacs and those are 12 inch hoses and the difference is quite amazing on a 10 inch hose the opening is 78.5 sq inches but on a 12 which is just 2 inches larger its a staggering 113 sq inches. And of course that makes for a lot fewer clogs

Dream would be to get the monsters with the 18 inch hose and 254.34 sq inches

We seldom use rakes on out piles its one guy backing up the truck and one guy on the hose. Now if its wet and heavy the guy in the truck will end up out side helping to break up the leaf pile. But if its dry or even just moist the 20 hp vac will eat through that like its not even there.

Now when use to go to a dealer up state he was telling me a story about a company they sold a 25 hp version too. And when they were done with a pile for some reason they got distracted and left the vac on full rpm. Any ways they heard a big impact on the impeller a few mins later and thought little of it until the home owner came out looking for her poodle.
yah i could imagine the 20hp leaf vacs are quite efficient. for me my 16hp is still very productive, I really shouldn't have bought it yet, because I didn't "need" it but i have a lot of extra money from the storm clean ups i did in november of 2011 and decided to spoil myself and spend 1600 on a leaf vac to save some time loading leaves, but because i bought the bagger for my mower this year and i started bagging all my regular lawns in october, none of them had heavy leaf build up, I just had to blow out the beds and cut the lawn and if the leaves had to be hauled away they all fit in my 8ft bed, i just dumped the bags right into the truck, and I had 1 new lawn where i had a substantial amount of leaves that had to be hauled away so I called up a buddy with a leaf vac, and he sucked them up for $75 a truck load and it was one full truck load probably close to 16 yards its a pretty tall box in a 9ft mason dump.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:56 AM
LawnSite Member

I'm like most here.Mence the leaves to bits,then grab the backpack. Its a few thigs you just can't do the job without.

1 Backpack blower
2 Tarp
3 Multching blades
4 Rakes
5 Hand held blower(when your up against the house in the hedges.
6 Garden rake
7 Heavy duty clear bags!

I charge by the hour on leaves,so I love my accts that have 15 trees in the back yard.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:24 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

We have 35 hp leaf loaders. Well worth the money!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-27-2012, 05:33 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSO LAWNEN4CER View Post
I'm like most here.Mence the leaves to bits,then grab the backpack. Its a few thigs you just can't do the job without.

1 Backpack blower
2 Tarp
3 Multching blades
4 Rakes
6 Garden rake
7 Heavy duty clear bags!

I charge by the hour on leaves,so I love my accts that have 15 trees in the back yard.
1 backpack blower
2 rakes
3 mowers
4 grass catchers

less things, much easier to do. in my opinion anyway.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:00 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSO LAWNEN4CER View Post
1 Backpack blower
2 Tarp
3 Multching blades
4 Rakes
6 Garden rake
7 Heavy duty clear bags!

I could do without #'s 2,4,5,6,7. I would add another Backpack blower, 2 Walkers and a one ton dump with either a debris loader or a ramp into the back for the mowers to dump.