Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-21-2012, 06:02 PM
LawnSite Member

I Need Help Bidding these Properties

Hey Guys,

I have two projects from a guy who is trying to sell these two houses. I have to remove all the palm trees (there 5 total), and plant three christmas palms. I have to pretty much gut all of the flower beds and replace them with mulch and add in new shrubs/bushes to make them have nice curb appeal. Then I have inside the pool area to add new white marble and add hibiscus (two corners). I need to also hedge all bushes that are remaining, clear any brush/weeds (tidy up property) and dig the beds/mulch and trim palms that are to stay.

What do you guys think?

I really appreciate it (in advance)!
Attached Images

Old 11-21-2012, 06:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

A rough number would be double your material, or maybe a little more. Not too much because he is giving you two properties and you will loose him other wise. Plus i would say add on $500 for removal and disposal of palms and old shrubs, assuming they are easy roots to get out. Im from Delaware so I've never worked with them.

-Michael

2006 GMC Sierra 2500hd crew cab
BOSS 8'2" Power V
Hustler X-one 60"
Toro Proline 36" wb w/t-bar controls
JS46 22" walk-behind (wouldn't recommend)
Shindaiwa T254, Echo trimmers, chainsaws, pole hedge trimmer, pole saw, hedge trimmer
Shindaiwa 633 and Husqvarna 130BT blower
Old 11-21-2012, 06:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks Cowboys...that really helps me frame things a lot clearer. And palm trees are really easy to actually get up...they're kind of a ball root/bulb. You'd be amazed how sinewy and string they are when put a chainsaw to them though.

So basically I should charge double what it cost for the mulch, soil, shrubs and trees, + $500? Should I itemize the costs or should I just do a "total cost"?
Old 11-21-2012, 07:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am ball-parking because he is giving you both lawns, the customer would appreciate if you itemize the list usually. You don't have to use the exact numbers, just make seem reasonable. But double material cost for plants and mulch is a good number to go by, as well as sod. I heard palm trees were easy, but I don't want to tell someone something I don't know for sure.

Good Luck with the Bid.

-Michael

BOSS 8'2" Power V
Hustler X-one 60"
Shindaiwa T254, Echo trimmers, chainsaws, pole hedge trimmer, pole saw, hedge trimmer
Old 11-21-2012, 07:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks cowboys, I really do appreciate it. Yes, 2 lawns, plus hopefully more to come. He's a realtor. Should I ask for half the payment up front? Or a backdated check, or what?
Old 11-21-2012, 07:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If those beds have weeds really bad you may want to charge even more, like I said I can't tell from a few small photos I need to be on a job. I usually ask for 30-50% to cover my material costs, make sure you sign a contract. Call it an agreement though, not a contract, it has something to do with getting screwed at court if you call it a contract.

Do a separate list for each house and you may want to do a separate agreement for each house, even thought they will say the same thing, just different addresses.

itemized list:
  • each different plant species
  • mulch cost
  • labor for full job
  • dumping fee

I've been told by other LCO's that were friends in the industry when I was starting out to not add a gas fee for a landscaping job. Just put that cost into you labor fee. When im cutting lawns I already just add it in, I don't officially say that I cut for $27 + $3 gas surcharge, I just charge $30.

-Michael

BOSS 8'2" Power V
Hustler X-one 60"
Old 11-21-2012, 08:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Cowboys, you are the man. I can't thank you enough. That agreement terminology versus contract is a great tip. Always crazy loopholes that the less experienced of us would have missed out on if a more knowledgeable guy didn't reach out and help. How specific does the contract have to be? Obviously I'm not a lawyer...can it just be basically saying, "I agree to do this in this time to this standard and you agree to pay this much now and this much upon completion" (of course more eloquently put and laid out).?
Old 11-21-2012, 08:45 PM
LawnSite Member

If that was here in my market I would be around $6000
Old 11-21-2012, 08:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Hi Jequigle. Thanks for the feedback. Can you help me out and run down some of your rough numbers...how you would get there? Thanks. That will really help.