Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-15-2012, 10:16 AM
LawnSite Member

fall clean up

what do you do and what works best for you. i was thinking of buying one of those yard vac's. or a yard blower with a truck loader. what works best for you
Old 11-16-2012, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Probably depends on your volume. Most of my fall cleanups just require backpack blowing and pickup. Also how you dispose of them. Our city has trucks that take debris for several weeks, but only on Sat. from 8 am - noon. I do use tarps a lot also. But I understand the need for heavier equipment. I had one job this fall that took 9 hours!!

Ford F150 XL Truck
6 x 10 Trailrite Trailer w/ramp
Husqvarna MZT 52 mower
ExMark Phazer mower
Big Dog C142 mower
RedMax BCZ2401S Trimmer
Stihl FS-55-T Trimmer
Husqvarna 570BTS Backpack blower
Husqvarna 445 Chain Saw
Redmax HB280 hand held blower
Echo HC-150 gas hedge trimmer
Jungle Jack
Wright Grass Gobbler
Arien's dual stage 625E snowthrower

Old 11-16-2012, 10:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Depends on the job, but I use back blowers and the rear bagger on my mower mostly. I have a leaf loader but don't have much use for it since I only haul leaves from a handfull of accounts. I fire up the 10HP wheel blower on occasion too.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:59 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I like running over them once with the mower first, the resulting pile is a lot smaller and fits easier in most places.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Fall cleanup equipment that we use 4 backpacks, little wonder 13hp, Track vac truck loader. Mix of cleanups, lose some in woods others suck up and haul out.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-19-2012, 06:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We use just about everything. 6 Shindy 802 bp blowers get everything out from tight areas. We have a big 16hp self propelled blower and a leaf plow mounted to the front of a ztr. They move large quantities. The bagging mower is used for final mow and cleanup. Finally, we use the 35 hp truck vac with to load 2 dump trucks with 14cy boxes. I have a crew of 5 guys. Two primarily run the leaf vac with the two dump trucks. The remaining 3 of us do the bulk of the lawn cleanups and pushing the leaves to the street. We have a great setup and system that works very well. Within 2 years, I will have 2 crews cleaning yards and pushing leaves to the curb so the vac guys are busy all month only sucking leaves. I hate it when the expensive truck vac is sitting because they caught up to us.
61" Wright zk
ASV SR 70
Takeuchi 135
Kubota 7610 40" rotadarion
20' enclosed 10k lawncare trailer
18' aluminum 12k equipment trailer
35hp Giant Vac leaf loader
Old 11-19-2012, 07:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

2 or 3 backpacks, a 9hp little wonder wheeled blower, leaf plow on the front of the ztr for when the pile gets 3' high and the little wonder starts to slow down then they either go to the curb for the me or the town to suck up or the woods, also a bagger system for the mower is essential without one clean ups take a lot longer.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Member

We run Red Max 8500 abd Stihl 600 blowers to get the structures blown out and the piles started. I have 3' x 6" leaf plows made from 3/4 treated plywood with aluminum curved side pieces so the pile wont slide off the sides. We push all the leaves to the closest pavement and vac into the dump truck. Lesco loader with 10" hose and 16 vanguard. We run a crew of 3 or 4 as a prep crew getting leaves in place to be loaded, and the vac truck crew chases and makes stops along the way for clients that clean their own leaves and put them on the curb for us to collect. We are getting to the point the vac truck can't keep up. We are a day behind the prep crew on collections now. I am considering another skid mount loader for the other truck, or possibly getting a larger trailer mounted unit to speed up the process. Any thoughts?
Old 11-21-2012, 08:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Using a Kaw backpack blower I realized my left hand was completely unused. For kicks, I fired up the bg 85 for lefty. Oh my god! Whooo hoo! I can move a wall of leaves like nothing else. Dry leaves, wet leaves, mud from sidewalks, no problem. The most stubborn stuck on debris gets "excited" by one blower, then blasted with a crosswind.

No fooling though, it will wear you out. Takes a bit to get coordinated using two blowers effectively. Burns fuel quite rapidly, but its way faster! I'm looking to buy a leaf loader for next year (if budget allows).
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-21-2012, 09:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

2 backpacks at the same time works even better, or a backpack and a wheel blower at the same time. I have even used 2 backpacks and a wheel blower at the same time before.