Register free!
Search

Click for Weather
Closed Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 07:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
where the $#%^&*@# is the OP's location - we got location-specific knowledge and advice, along with zero interest in playing guessing games
Midwest?
Old 11-21-2012, 07:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
My guy failed his backflow re-cert because of the part concerning PVBs; they are not permitted in our market area, and, hence we had none in service and had no working experience with them. Go figure backflow regs all around the country, seems to me it should all be the same. :dizzy
All I see is in ground dblchks, I think I remember my old boss saying that PVBs are not allowed.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:01 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

DCVA's are not allowed here for irrigation.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irritation View Post
DCVA's are not allowed here for irrigation.
I live in the land where RPZ are allowed in a box set below grade as long as there is a drain to air. I remember the worst system I worked on was on an apartment complex and it ran off of hosebibs with an ASV for each hose bib and it was all 1/2" sch. 40
Old 11-21-2012, 08:10 PM
LawnSite Member

I have dealt with irrigation well systems that were located next to malfunctioning sewer pump stations and seen results of the legal aspects of serving people fecal matter. It doesn't matter if it is animal or human. It will make people sick. The best thing you could do is refer them to a qualified person to identify the source.

In most places, a reduced pressure backflow assembly is not required on a well. An RP would be used to protect a city supply or a well from a potential high hazard source, ie. chemicals, etc. going backwards. It would appear that your source is already contaminated.

The contamination could be coming from the well. Yes, the annular seal on the well may have failed and the animal feces may be going underground. There can be any number of possibilities but unless you are trained in this, I'd leave it alone.

Again, let an accredited person or company find the source and recommend a fix. Any mis-diagnosis could lead to lawsuits. Google water well contamination and legal actions.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:14 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjohn2000 View Post
I live in the land where RPZ are allowed in a box set below grade as long as there is a drain to air.
RP's must be 12" above grade when installed outside. They must have a suitable drain for the relief valve if they are installed inside a building.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irritation View Post
RP's must be 12" above grade when installed outside. They must have a suitable drain for the relief valve if they are installed inside a building.
Not in my area
Old 11-21-2012, 08:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Sorry...I'm in Connecticut USA. I've always had my location listed here...guess it must have gotten deleted when the mods edited my signature line or something. It does freeze here. I know very little about irrigation systems other than how to shear off the heads when mowing, lol. I do know a fair amount about wells and groundwater contamination though, which is why I was volunteered for this problem.

So the bottom line is that a poorly designed or malfunctioning irrigation/water supply system very well could be causing backflow into the well...right?
Old 11-21-2012, 08:23 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cppendergrast View Post
fecal matter. It doesn't matter if it is animal or human. It will make people sick. It would appear that your source is already contaminated.

The contamination could be coming from the well. Yes, the annular seal on the well may have failed and the animal feces may be going underground. There can be any number of possibilities but unless you are trained in this, I'd leave it alone..
And it could be from the irrigation system. I have blown out and turned on systems that smell like fecal matter. It should be considered high hazard.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl gesner View Post
So the bottom line is that a poorly designed or malfunctioning irrigation/water supply system very well could be causing backflow into the well...right?
Yes, and exactly why I installed DCVAs in every irrigation system fed by a well . It's not necessarily the design of the system, it's the possibility of fertilizers, pesticides, dog ****, etc., getting sucked back into the aquifer.
Closed Thread