Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-27-2012, 11:47 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Greendoctor, that's mostly bitterchamber, buttonweed, some crabgrass and dollar weeds.
You think a Medium rate of Celcius + MSO would do the trick as a Fall Post?

ArTurf, there is a drain there but that area doesn't hold water at all. 60% of the entire lawn looks like that area too. That was the worst of front yard, but I had to crop the picture to get it to upload.
thanks guys
Old 11-27-2012, 03:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Add 4 oz per acre Dismiss and plan on applying the high rate of Gallery DF near this application. None of the preemergents your vendor is selling are strong on broadleaf weeds.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 11-27-2012, 08:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
Add 4 oz per acre Dismiss and plan on applying the high rate of Gallery DF near this application. None of the preemergents your vendor is selling are strong on broadleaf weeds.
GD
Is it OK to use Dismiss on St Aug that is mostly dormant? The St Aug in my area is still green for the most part but growing little to none.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

That I could not tell you. The closest to dormant turf I deal with is grass that has not had a full day's sun for over a week and temperatures below 80 in the day. I would be cautious because herbicide tolerance is based on grass growing out of any injury it might receive from an application. What kind of weeds are you targeting that are still around while the St Augustine is trying to go to sleep?.

Old 11-27-2012, 08:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks. Would Gallery be your go to PreM to start with now... and in the Spring too?
I'm meeting with the GM at JDL tomorrow to look at prices for the program they recommend for our area. I know these guys are sales people and will "recommend" what's going to make the most profit for them. I will get prices on Dismiss and Gallery too. That's why I was here to find who has the best real world suggestions for getting rid of the current weeds and setting myself up for success in the Spring.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, in fact, given the spectrum of weeds you are faced with, I would make up an ugly Martini consisting of Gallery, Dismiss and Celsius. How bad is the crabgrass? If it is a problem, an approved tank mix is the medium rate of Dimension. Dimension and Gallery is what I use on lawns that are known to sprout all kinds of weeds after Christmas. Those lawns so treated get through the Holidays without problems. You would do well to apply another preemergent 3 months from now. In semitropical areas, most preemergents last about 21/2-3 months before they are done.

Old 11-28-2012, 06:36 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
That I could not tell you. The closest to dormant turf I deal with is grass that has not had a full day's sun for over a week and temperatures below 80 in the day. I would be cautious because herbicide tolerance is based on grass growing out of any injury it might receive from an application. What kind of weeds are you targeting that are still around while the St Augustine is trying to go to sleep?.
I am trying to get rid of some wild violet. Was thinking about a mix of Dismiss & Metsulfuron, 4oz & .50 per acre rate. I realize I should have gotten it earlier but missed it.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:39 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Anyone have a suggestion for what to use for wild violet in near dormant St Aug?
Old 11-28-2012, 09:35 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks Doc. The crabgrass isn't as big of a problem as the chamberbitter and button weed. Can any of these be applied to overseeded rye turf areas? All of the rye has been up for a few weeks and we have already applied fert, but don't want to kill off any of the rye.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If you are treating rye, no Celsius. Low rates of Dismiss and Three Way type herbicides only. Gallery is still ok after all of the rye has emerged.